No luck with the Steam Controller

Hey all. I’ve been trying to configure Retroarch for input from my Steam Controller, with no luck. I have so far managed to get a couple emulators configured with the steam controller independently after setting the controller Desktop configuration in Big Picture mode. I was able to configure the input in Retroarch, but the game will only respond to the keyboard commands and not the Steam Controller. Has anyone had success running games in Retroarch using the Steam Controller (outside of Big Picture Mode)? So far I’ve spent the better part of today, experimenting and Googling, but I have to ask for help.

Thanks

Yes first of all make sure steam is running as admin. Setup retroarch as. A non steam game. Retroarch needs to run as admin as well. First time launching run in big picture. Push the steam button and give it the standard template. Run the updater inside of retroarch. Restart retroarch. Do full input setup in retroarch

After this you no longer need to run steam in big picture, but you do need to launch via steam

Hope this helps

Yes first of all make sure steam is running as admin. Setup retroarch as. A non steam game. Retroarch needs to run as admin as well. First time launching run in big picture. Push the steam button and give it the standard template. Run the updater inside of retroarch. Restart retroarch. Do full input setup in retroarch

After this you no longer need to run steam in big picture, but you do need to launch via steam

Hope this helps

P.s. make sure both are always running as admin

When you say run as admin, what do you mean exactly? I have my read write privileges changed from “Get Info” section in the app. I’m using Mac. Let me know if that’s what you meant since I just changed the settings. If it works I’ll re-post.

This did not work. I expect to look online once more. I have some issues with my mapping software. It doesn’t recognize the controller.

I hate to feel like I’m talking to myself, but I just wanted to say I had some success this weekend. I put the generic x-input config on the controller via Steam and just went back into Retroarch and did bind all. The buttons are sensitive, so a few of them I had to do individually.

As an aside, my 8bitdo NES30’s are still my favorite gamepads on RetroArch.

I mainly wanted to play some N64 games and I need the joystick to work for that. I will say the emulator is running weak sauce and I noticed some hotkey weirdness going on, but that’s an issue for another day. :sunglasses: