No menu after loading rom on Nvidia shield portable

So I posted this issue I am having in the play store review but I think this is a better place to post it. As some other users have stated, I cannot get back to the menu after I load a rom. In the bind hotkeys menu, all hotkeys have keyboard binds. I am not using a keyboard, the shield portable has a controller attached. When i try to change the bind for menu, I used to use the back button, it gives me this message:

Device port #1 (RetroKeyboard) Configured

What am I doing wrong? Any help anyone could give me would be great. I love this emulator and want to use it. Thanks for all the hard work.

Having this issue too on Nvidia Shield TV, the stable 1.2 release is the same, so i have gone back to the nightly 2/7 build, works no problem on there.

Yeah, this seems to affect all autoconfigured controller setups as far as I can tell and affects all builds starting with the 7/3 nightly (1.2 stable is newer than this). Quite a few users here have already reported it (me included). I still haven’t seen an acknowledgement of the problem from any of the official devs though. :stuck_out_tongue: The closest I saw was hunterk’s post here that gives a workaround if you’re on a device that has a touchscreen (which the Shield Portable does).

To resolve this:

1. Load retroarch and select core
  2. Settings
  3. Input Hotkeys Binds
  4. Select Menu toggle and press Shield start button
  5. Save new config

[QUOTE=sf1;24789]To resolve this:

1. Load retroarch and select core
  2. Settings
  3. Input Hotkeys Binds
  4. Select Menu toggle and press Shield start button
  5. Save new config[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t able to make this work.
Although other keys are saved and can be re-bound, the ‘menu toggle’ does not seem to stick. I was thinking perhaps the issue could be core-specific configs since you suggested loading a core first. Still couldn’t make it work. So I turned off global config option without success. Then I tried changing the config directory but that didn’t help either.

I couldn’t make any permutation open up the menu once a game was running.

I have an idea to allow autoconfig and manual maps to coexist, might have to wait a few days now I’m focused on improving defaults, making the paths sane, maybe use the internal SD card for assets and stuff like that The problem you experience is because of a last minute change that we thought would be good but caused even more issues.

Yeah that works. Thats what I did. It is a minor annoyance to have to touch the screen, but it works, and thats good enough for me until it is fixed.