No proper support for 'Tin Star' (SNES) with Super Scope for any core

So if you load this game, then adjust the device in the quick menu/ controls, you can change to Super Scope no problem, and the game is ‘kind of’ playable. But the cursor is off by default. But if you then reset the game, the game will ask you to adjust your aim, which is what would correct this problem. After you test the aim with the 2nd shot, there is no way to exit the screen.

So what I’m wondering is, is there some incomplete emulation for the Super Scope happening here? There’s 4 buttons (cursor, fire, pause, and turbo) on the superscope, and two on the mouse.

Minor issue, but I thought I’d bring it up. The problem exists for both bsnes and SNES9x cores.

With Snes9x I can call the aim adjustment menu and (sometimes) get out of it by pressing mouse middle click + left click together.

Interesting… I’ll have to try that, thanks.

It looks like for practical purposes, using the ‘snes mouse’ as the device is the way to go. But it technically did support the Super Scope also.

Can you check this in the standalone versions of those emulators?

It would be good to know if better support is possible in the libretro cores by looking upstream.

I couldn’t get it to work in SNES9x standalone either, and I found a thread where they were talking about it, and someone erroneously claimed that it was a ‘mouse’ game, and the topic died off.

I mean it is a mouse game, but it is also a controller and Super Scope game.

I didn’t bother with BSNES because from my experience it isn’t user friendly at all.

But I’m assuming exiting that ‘adjust aim’ screen has something to do with one of the buttons on the super scope, and as far as I can tell, the emulators only support two out of the four.

Tin Man is using super scope’s PAUSE button(which is not the same as PAUSE in gamepad) to get in and out of the “Adjust Aim” menu. but this means that the SCOPE_PAUSE button is mapped to button 4 (of 5) but common mouse has only 3(not sure how the mapping is if you indeed have something like a mouse with more than 3 buttons). Snes9x’ code even has an extra button for simulated off-screen shooting(aka reload).

the scope’s pause button should be remapped somewhere else or on the mouse’ button 2 or 3 if they do not have any use ingame. i still have a pending PR in snes9x, so, somebody else should probably do this for this game.

1 Like