No real use of external SD card for cores?

I have configured every path alowed in settings to use subfolders in /storage/sdcard1/ROMs/RetroArch. Except the cores path that wants to stay in /data/data/com.retroarch/cores eating 420+ Mb of my vital internal storage! I actually see in this com.retroarch a full set of folders I don’t normally use (since I changed all other paths) and cannot delete since this folder is not normally accessible to user of non rooted device. Is this inability of use of SD card for cores, a bug?

Most of the time external SD cards are mounted as noexec so you can’t run stuff from them, I guess you can overcome this limitation with foldermount or something. Also most of the time the external SD card is not user writable. Unless you’re rooted/sdfixed. Not a bug.

The downloader was made with this purpose, to have only the cores you want.

My SD card has no such issues. I have many apps moved to SD and move to SD is supported by stock non-rooted ROM (it is a Sony Xperia Tablet Z with Lollipop). Also I do any file transfer I want to/from SD freely.

Other users implemented on the tablet do not have access to SD, but that is not the case for me, the device administrator.

I should be able to change the path. It DOES allow to change the path and RetroArch does accept SD path for all other purposes. It is a bug anyway you see it. Because even if there was a serious reason to not allow SD paths (there isn’t such a reason), it should “error out” instead of just accepting the path I choose and then next time I check the paths. to have only the cores path changed back to internal storage.

I said most of the time. And moving apps to the SD usually creates a virtual Mount point. Moving the core locations is simply not the same.

I agree it shouldn’t let you if it won’t work.

I understand what you say. Yet for devices where this CAN work (all rooted devices for example), this should be allowed.