Noob question coming at you... How do you update to different versions of RetroArch?

So, I just started learning about hypersion/rocket launcher and RetroArch days ago and I am very intrigued. I have ran into a few issues during my initial install, but with the help of all the good posts and videos out there I have worked my way through almost all of them.

Currently I am running an older version of RetroArch that came from the RetroArch Master 1.7z zip(1.1 Genesis Plus GX 1.7.4). I was interested in setting up Dreamcast and based off the videos I was watching you needed to download a newer version of RA. What is the best way to update RA without losing your setting?

I have tried a few methods to run 1.3.6 No Core (which I think is the latest stable release), but when I go into HS and try to load a ROM I get an error that says your LibRetro_SNES dll is set to dsnes_balanced_libertro but could not locate this file: J:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll

I could be totally overthinking this, but any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I can’t wait to get this whole project rolling.

I suppose this is because there are no cores, open retroarch menu, go to “online updater > core updater”, and select the core you want to download.

So, how do I setup the new version to keep the config of the old version? like the paths and all that or do I have to manually configure them all again?

Thanks for the response!

You don’t need to update the config files each update. For the most part, you only need the .exe files.

You could also make a backup of your current config prior to updating, then load it through Retroarch.

Interesting, so I can just download the fresh version and it should work? I tried loading the config and the screen just goes black and I have to exit out. something seems funky.

What i did was download the new version name it RetroArch and renamed the current RetroArch folder. Is that the correct way?

That’s why I said, “For the most part.” If you’re coming from too old a version, your config may not be fully compatible with the latest version and give issues.

All I typically do is grab the latest version from buildbot, (you can download the smaller .zip file, unless you’re doing a full install) and just unzip the two .exes and overwrite the ones in my current Retroarch folder.

I still can’t get it to work. I tried configuring it all from scratch and get the same error. I did notice the system folder was empty (not sure if that is normal) so I just brought the data from the old system folder. I tried loading a dreamcast ROM via the correct core and Retroarch just crashes… I have something screwed up here.

This is also a noob question I guess, but for off-line installations which just get new core versions added manually (eventually), is it safe to just overwrite the old .exe file with the newer one when RA gets a new version? Is there a place to check the RA version required by every core’s latest update?

(Sorry for not helping with the opening question.)

There are very few cores that don’t work with arbitrarily old versions of RA. ParaLLEl is one, the libretro-gl cores (mupen, ffmpeg, ppsspp) are, as well, if you go back far enough (like 3+ yrs).

Ah, good to know, thanks. For updating RA manually, what’s your suggestion then?

Regards.

As you said, replace the executables. Make backups of the known-working versions first.