Noob to android trying to autoconfig directories

I’ve been using RetroArch primarily on my home computer for a while now, and I’ve got my auto-configs set up in a particular way so that all consoles are segregated into separate folders that house a folder for the ROM files, a folder for save data, and a folder for cheats. In the save folder, there are 2 separate folders for states & battery. When I decided to try RetroArch for Android I decided to run a folder syncing app between some of my platforms and my phone, so the basic file hierarchy is the same. The problem is when I load a core on my computer it loads the directories from the configs for the core, but I’m not getting the same thing on Android. I’ve been testing them on Gambatte & VBA-M, and while I’ve found config files in the folder for them, and when I look at them in a text editor on my phone they look right, but even if I manually load one of the configs the directory doesn’t switch to the proper paths for the platform. Also, I noticed the app crashes when I load a config when a core is active but doesn’t have a problem if there isn’t one active (I changed the wallpaper and colour scheme to verify it was indeed loading a different config)

Any help would be much appreciated.