Normal4x filter?

Hi, in video filters i can see normal2x filter, someone knows if exist a normal4x? normal2x is still too blurry

thanks

There is no normal4x video filter, but there are a dozen or so shaders in the ‘interpolation’ directory that will make your image as sharp as possible without “shimmering”.

sharp-bilinear, aann and bandlimited-pixel are good ones to try.

But sadly filters works great in old intel GL1 card, and shaders not. And in normal GL shaders are terrible slow, whyle filters work good

sad no normal4x in retroarch, still need to use stand alone emulators then in my laptop

thanks

Well, I just whipped up a 4x version but it’s slow as hell (I’m getting only ~150 fps on a haswell i5 laptop). Doing such high-res scaling in software just isn’t efficient, unfortunately.

With this in mind, I doubt anyone stuck on GL1 is going to have the CPU grunt to do 4x software scaling.

For anyone that has normal GL (2+), sharp-bilinear is only slightly slower than no shader at all, since it uses the built-in hardware scaling capabilities rather than calculating the scaling manually.

What am I missing here? Isn’t enough just disabling Bilinear Filtering?:

Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering > OFF

I’m assuming they want to avoid “shimmering” from NN scaling without resorting to integer scaling + 1:1 PAR.

After talking with jdgleaver, he optimized the Normal4x I had started to now run about 50% faster, which is probably still too slow for many systems that are legacy enough to not use shaders, but it’s there nonetheless:

1 Like