Not sure if I should post this here or in the cores forum

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using Retroarch because it has a lovely front end for Mednafen. I have quite a few Europe releases of games which use LibCrypt. As far as I understand .sbi / .sub files are needed to get around this. When I use the latest release of Mednafen it can play these games with no hitch. if the .sbi file is present. However in Retroarch using the Mednafen core doesn’t seem to be capable of playing games with LibCrypt built in. Is this just how it is at the moment? Is there possibly going to be support for it in the future?

Retroarch with it’s Mednafen core is my favourite emulator because of it’s accuracy and ease of use. I really want to use Retroarch full time but this minor hiccup is rather unfortunate.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? I’m aware I could just get the NTSC releases but that sort of defeats the point of emulation for the sake of nostalgia. Also some PAL and NTSC versions of games are slightly different in some ways.

Oh and also, I’ve tried two different versions of the Mednafen cores. The one that comes in the latest stable release of Retroarch’s core pack (0.9.32) and the latest new individual release (0.9.36.5). Both don’t seem to support .sbi files.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s hooked up. We can take a look.

What does taking a look entail, if you don’t mind me asking?

looking through the source (mostly libretro.c/pp) and seeing if any of those functions are hooked into anything. If not, RetroArch can’t do anything with them.

I’m interested in looking myself but I have no idea where to start. However I stumbled across this https://github.com/libretro/mednafen-psx-libretro – is this the right place to begin looking? I don’t have any real experience in coding and such, but I’m interested in the open source world and I’d like to participate one day when I earn enough skills to be able to contribute. I’d appreciate if you could point me in the right direction so I can teach myself.

Thanks

Yeah, that’s the right repo. This would be the file to look at:

It’s the main file that contains the libretro hooks into the program’s internal API.

Sorry about this late reply, but I went on holiday for a week. Is it possible that in the future the Libcrypt issue will be addressed in a later release?