NTSC filter causes picture to show on only left half of screen

I used to use Blarrg’s NTSC filter when I used Retroarch, before I upgraded my computer.

Now, I have the latest version of Retroarch, and I also have a 2560x1440 resolution monitor on a new computer with a GeForce GTX 980 Ti. When I run the filter “Blarrg’s NTSC”, while the filter is applied, the picture somehow shifts to the left side of the screen and it squashed, instead of filling the screen normally. Disabling the filter stops this behavior.

Since I love making the games look like they did in my childhood, I’m very disappointed to see this filter stop working.

Does anyone know what causes this behavior, how to avoid it, or how to fix it?

It’s always been like that. Blargg’s filter is very resolution-specific, and the softfilter plugin version only really works with S/NES games with any reliability.

Some cores have the filter built-in, such as GenPlusGX and Nestopia, and these built-in versions should work well. Otherwise, use one of the NTSC shaders instead.

I guess Blargg would have to fix the filter then, or someone else would have to create one that doesn’t have that problem.

How do I use the NTSC shaders then?

While playing a game, go back into the quick menu (the one with the savestate options, etc.) and look for the ‘shaders’ submenu. Once in there, go to ‘load shader preset’ and navigate to the shader directory you want to use (use slang shaders if you’re using the vulkan driver, GLSL shaders otherwise) and go into the ‘ntsc’ subdirectory. Select any of the slangp/glslp files in there and it will load up all of the shader passes needed for the effect.

Some of the shaders are intended for specific resolutions but will look good even on other resolutions.

My preference is to use the ntsc shader according to the videogame output and cable.