Nvidia Shield TV Problems

Hi I was wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice.

I have installed Retroarch using the Google Play store, it installs fine but when I try to install any using the online updater, it never finds any (using version 1.6.0.)

As an alternative I manually installed the nightly .apk (1.6.1), and when using this one it does find the cores, however I end up getting no sound on any rom.

Could someone possibly give me some advice on how to get one of the versions working?

Many Thanks

the core updater should work fine. Works on mine, at least. Did you try removing and reinstalling? Somethings things get messed up during the initial install.

For no audio, did you try going into settings > driver and changing the audio driver? Thereā€™s been some recent work to add tinyalsa support for android, and that might be causing problems for you, so if itā€™s defaulting to that, youā€™ll likely want to try something else.

No matter what I do, I cannot get Retroarch to work on my 2017 Nvidia Shield. I can download the app from the Google Play Store just fine. I can download cores just fine, but no matter what cores I use, no matter if I update everything, I still cannot get my ROMs to be recognized. I have tried a variety of different types of ROMs (zipped, not zipped, etc.) and across several different systems just to be on the safe side (SEGA, NES, SNES, GAME GEAR, GAMEBOY, ATARI, TURBOBRAFX, etc.)

Nothing I do works. Is this a common issue?

This is def not a common issue.

Load a Core Go to Information -> Core info

Make sure you rom extensions match and you have any bios files required.

Load content and browse directly to a rom filā€¦I should work fine

Iā€™m assuming by ā€œcannot get my ROMs to be recognizedā€ you mean you canā€™t get them to show up in playlists. Can you get them to launch manually by going to ā€˜load coreā€™ to select a core and then ā€˜load contentā€™ to navigate to the game and launch from there?

I can get them to run individually if I scan file instead of scan directory. However, there isnā€™t any sound. And yes, I cannot get playlists to create. I have tried all cores, and almost all systems. Itā€™s the same result.

Did you update databases in the online updater before scanning?

For the sound, go to settings > driver and change the audio driver until you find one that works.

Yes, I updated the databases

Same problem here, except I do have audio when I scan files individually. Could it be a filesystem permission problem?

Hi,

I am trying to set up my 2017 Shield and encountering the same issues. I can load a core and use load content to manually load a ROM (sound is fine) however if I try to import content to add the entire rom set as a collection then the scan completes but no collection is added. All components have been updated including database before scanning. For test purposes I have been using a GBA collection. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Russell

Can you try a nightly build? We had some issues with content scanning in 1.6.0 and just havenā€™t put out a bugfix release yet, though weā€™re planning to do so in a couple of days, if you donā€™t feel like bothering with the nightly.

Thanks, the nightly build fixed it

1 Like

Can RetroArch be sideloaded onto the Nvidia Shield TV? Would I be able to download the use the nighly build on the Nvidia Shield? Or am I stupid and there is another way for me to do this?

I am having the exact same issue on a shield TV. I have removed the 1.6 build and installed the nightly 1.6.1 but I cannot get files to add to the content library via scan.

Check and make sure your playlist directory is pointed at your internal storageā€™s RetroArch directory in settings > directory

Sorry to thread necro, but I just signed up and donā€™t seem to be allowed to post new threads yet. (Let me know if Iā€™m missing something there.)

I just got a new Shield Pro and started experimenting with retroarch for the first time, though Iā€™ve done some emulation in the past. Iā€™m having a lot of problems with MAME specifically - the only other system Iā€™ve tried so far is the NES via Nestopia and that works perfectly. Iā€™m mostly interested in the classic era of Pacman, Donkey Kong, etc. The games Iā€™ve tested run fine in Mame4Droid, but donā€™t look quite as nice and of course lack the retroarch integration. But I canā€™t get the MAME2010 core in retroarch to run properly on any ROM Iā€™ve tried - it just fires up and immediately crashes. The current MAME core works OK for me on some ROMā€™s, less so on others. Donkey Kong plays pretty well, though I get occasional, minor crackles in the audio. Pacman and Galaga seem OK. But Mario Bros is a mess with current MAME - the sound is very crackly and different than current MAME on my PC, and the game stutters. MAME2003 Iā€™ve only experimented with a little, but it doesnā€™t play all the samples from Mario Bros correctly at least - I get footsteps but no music.

Iā€™ve experimented with various combinations of settings at this point, generally just sticking with the retroarch defaults or close to them. The best I seemed to manage for current MAME was by changing the audio resampling driver to nearest - that made things less bad, but still not great. Anyway, Iā€™ll keep experimenting, but any confirmation of MAME definitely working (or not) for others would be very helpful, along with any important settings tweaks that I might be missing. Thanks.

Hello,

Iā€™ve been setting up my Shield TV to run RetroArch and I ran into a few problems. Whenever I try to ā€œload contentā€ for the following cores, RetroArch will crash:

• Beetle PSX HW (Playstation)
  • Beetle PCE FAST (PC Engine)
  • Beetle SGX (PC Engine SuperGrafx) ā€“ Atari 800 (Atari 5200)

RetroArch will close when I try to ā€œload contentā€ and the Shield TV will display a window that reads: ā€œRetroArch has stoppedā€

Iā€™ve tried a number of different roms and this happens with any that are loaded. I also confirmed that they work in another emulator.

Is there an issue with the Beetle (and Atari 800) cores for RetroArch and is there a workaround?

Thank you

Weā€™d need a log to even guess, but just FYI, beetle-psx-hw canā€™t reach full speed on X1 chipsets currently.

If I had to make a wild guess, I would say youā€™re missing BIOSes.

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. Iā€™m not as concerned about beetle-psx, but thanks for the heads-up about the performance issue. Iā€™ve been using the psx-rearmed core which works very well.

Iā€™m most interested in getting beetle-pce-fast working and, to a lesser degree atari-800.

Iā€™ll try loading the PCE BIOs even though I havenā€™t tried loading a CD image yet. Maybe it does a check regardless.

Also, are there instructions for downloading the RetroArch log from a Shield TV that isnā€™t rooted?

Thank you

Hi

I am having the same issue as philexile regarding the atari800 core. I set it up fine on windows which launches the emulator and then you configure the bios through the atari800 emulator menu.

However when running the core on android it just crashes doesnt even load the emulator.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?