Obscure Video Games x RetroArch x Difficulty in configuration

Some cases the XML wont match the bios name…I use android which is much harder to configure but nearly the same across the board…fm towns should work in chd format…but to be honest if using retroarch it’s much easier using cmd files instead of launching zips directly… as least on android by using cmd files you bypass the need for an XML and softlist naming…heres an example…if u look at the XML for sam coupe there will only be 1 game entry…if u load anything else it will error out and crash…now if u load .bin roms for sam coupe using cmd files, the games will load and play even though the XML only has 1 game entry…as far as matching bios and XML heres an example…texas instruments ti99 has a bios named ti99_4a…the xml is named ti99_cart…they dont match the names but I use cmd files to launch the games to play on android

Hi, again. I’m sorry but I’m not able to run the Philips CDI games. I decided to follow your advice. I will start them through the command line. I copied the log of my last attempt.

( https://pastebin.com/eb2mihuY )

RetroArch opens but then closes. Could you take a look and tell me where the problem is?

I will show you the current addresses where I am currently trying to make the CDI emulator work:

D: \ Games \ RetroArch (paste)

D: \ Games \ RetroArch \ system (paste)

D: \ Games \ RetroArch \ system \ cdimono1 (paste)

• cdimono1.zip
  • cdimono2.zip
  • cdibios.zip
  • hotmario.zip (dummy file)
  • hotel mario (1994)(philips)(eu)[!].chd

based on the information above could you give me a single example of how everything should work? So I can reproduce what you told me in other games.

this is currently the command line I’m running (.bat file):

“D:\Jogos\RetroArch\retroarch.exe” -L “D:\Jogos\RetroArch\cores\mame_libretro.dll” “D:\Jogos\RetroArch\system\cdimono1\hotel mario (1994)(philips)(eu)[!].chd”

got it. :smile:

I fixed the problem by replacing the file name “hotel mario (1994) (philips) (me) [!].chd” for “hotmario.zip” on the command line.

A single detail I wanted to ask you is: The game screen does not fully reach the top of my monitor. But only the bottom. Is it possible through RetroArch to fix this?

I remember that some systems like the Video Game Saturn, the game screen was smaller than the size of my monitor screen. Determining the beginning of the line to be rendered I fixed this. However, I didn’t see anything like that within the PHilips CDI game options.!

I circled the point I’m commenting in red. Did you understand what I am wanting?

I noticed that some games start, go through the blue startup screen, but after pressing the “PLAY” button nothing happens. I found inside the .xml file instructions about these games. But I couldn’t understand them.

Would you help me?

The instructions are as follows. But I don’t understand what this text means.

The Apprentice is a CDi-Ready disc, the format of these discs is strange, and not properly supported in a PC the first track is identified as an audio track, with the game DATA being in the audio pre-gap. Trying to convert this in CHDMAN from the cuesheet results in a mangled CHD, with incorrect offsets when trying to output it again.

Manually adding a pregap area to the cuesheet encodes it without mangling the offsets, but
   still doesn't result in anything that boots.

Creating an additional 'track' data track in the cuesheet allows the game to boot, it still
   appears to play the correct audio tracks too, however this can't be considered accurate.

The same applies to Dimo's quest and Alien Gate

Lucky Luke is similar, but I've not been able to convert it to anything that works or is even
   recognized as having a valid data track.  (it also requires digital video, which we don't support)

To get fullscreen u have to press tab and video settings then select standard 4:3 without the LCD screen…as far as individual games its hit or miss with cdi…not all games will work and some may load with alot of errors …now that u learned about cmd line and files, i think this is 1 of the best ways to emulate obscure systems…another gr8 example of bios and XML names is sony pocketstation…I set this up on android today after I made some artwork for it…bios is pockstat but there is no XML for it…roms in gme format load and work via cmd only

1 Like

but the respect of the emulation of the games “The Apprentice” and “Dimo’s quest”

Did you understand what those instructions say?

I found these instructions inside the cdi.xml file.

but I don’t understand them. I used the google translator and it still doesn’t make sense.

I managed with the help of another user to solve the problem.

The point was that my games were not of good quality. I downloaded others and it worked. Thanks for all your help.

Oh ok…I’ll check mine…if I have issues I’ll message u to see how u fixed it so maybe I can fix mine

1 Like