Odd CRTResSwitch Behavior with Mupen Next

CRTResSwitch is working pretty much flawlessly for me these days. 31Khz CRT connected on my Windows 10 setup, with modelines installed via CRU (instead of CRT EmuDriver). I’m launching games on a dual-monitor setup. The CRT is set as my primary.

This works for every system except for N64 via Mupen Next. With that system it will change the monitor’s resolution to the required 1920x240 @120Hz, but RetroArch shows up covering the left side of the CRT, and is stretched well below the bottom of the image. Essentially I can only see the top of Mario’s hat in SM64 when it loads.

If I disable my 2nd monitor and ‘only’ load from the CRT it works. If I change my CRT’s default resolution from 1280x960 to one of the 1920 super resolutions it works with both monitors on.

It only seems to be this particular configuration, with this particular core, that is giving me issue. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing that? I’ve been unable to think of any settings that might do it. I even cleared out the mupen entries from /config and the core options config to see if it was something I had messed up, but no dice.

That is an odd one. I don’t know when I can set up a windows test bench to bug test it but I will add it to my list!

What happens if you try to use other superers like 2560/3840?

1 Like

Sadly I’ve never been able to get any other Super-Res to work with this CRT. Even when I tried CRT-EmuDriver I couldn’t go past 1920 for width.

I was gonna take a screenshot for reference and post it here… but I just went to replicate the issue (as I’ve done dozens of times over the past few days)… and sure enough it’s just magically working now. I haven’t changed anything so I don’t know why it’s suddenly working tonight.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but Mupen seems to take forEVER to load a rom for me with CRTResSwitch turned on or off either way. I was thinking maybe something in that long pause was causing issue - but now it wants to play nice tonight so who knows.

I’ll keep screwing with it to see if I can get it to come back… but god that’s so frustrating lol

@Alphanu

I knew I wasn’t crazy. I knew it! lol I haven’t updated RA or changed a core setting or anything, and it started happening again, exactly as before. Only with Mupen, and only with my CRT as a 2nd screen, set to primary.

Here’s the screenshot.

• Red box is what the game is trying to do.
  • Blue box is what I can see on my CRT.
  • Left is some stupid crap on my normal monitor lol.

This is what my CRT looks like off-screen:

screen

I redid the resolution installs and did a fresh install of RetroArch and it seemed like everything was working OK. I just booted up Rogue Squadron and tried to change the resolution to 480 and it started doing this again. So I changed it back to 240, and now all games via mupen are doing it again.

I tried removing my core options, but that didn’t change anything. I’m utterly stumped by this one. Particularly since the same resolutions 1920x240 and 1920x480 are working perfectly on other cores.

OK, I can only assume this is a core issue. Does the same thing happen with Parallel?

Yeah It’s only happening with Mupen Next from what I can tell. I had the same thought and threw a bunch of different games at ParaLLEl and it seems to be working great as far as CRT resolutions are concerned.

I don’t know if it helps, but my CRT makes an audible clicking noise whenever it changes resolution. On ParaLLEl it seems to click twice, giving me the impression it’s pulling up 480 and then switching to 240. When using Mupen, it didn’t seem to have this same behavior however.

It reminds me of beetle_psx_hw which gives me a click when it pulls up in 240, and then immediately another click as it switches to 480 for the BIOS sequence. Not sure if any of that helps though… Just trying to think of any variable that might give us a clue.

have an similar issue with mupen-next on linux using CRTswitchres on a CRT-TV, if internal 4:3 core-resolution is setted at default (320x240). After starting a game the picture is shown only in a small area of the screen and only a part of the screen is visible. if i try to close the content, the rgui of retroarch stays in this odd resolution and needs to be restartet first. If i use the core-options menu to change the internal resolution to 640x480 the core seems to run fine.