Of General Problems and Majora's Mask

First off, let this go on record that I’m typing this from an NVIDIA Shield. So by the end of this, my fingers will be bleeding. Joy.

Now, I have 2 problems with Retroarch, and two problems with Majora’s Mask/the core itself. I’ll start with Majora’s Mask. They’re big ones. Really big ones. What’s more, I can’t find any solutions on the internet. So I came here.

Using Mupen64plus (obviously).

1. The Lens of Truth will not work. I’m sure you’re groaning by now, yes, this is a common problem, but one with no actual solution. Actually, maybe there is a solution, but it’s tied in with my first Retroarch problem, so see below.

2. I finished Snowhead (with great difficulty and prior knowledge, since I had no Lens to aid me) and went to go see that giant Goron about a Powder Keg License. Now, the very instant he gives me the Powder Keg for his test, Retroarch does a clean crash to the home screen. “Unfortunately, Retroarch has stopped responding.” I cannot continue the game until I find a solution, so I desperately need one. No residue anywhere on Retroarch. Just a simple crash. I’m sorry I can’t give you more than that.

Now, on to Retroarch. Just a heads up, I DON’T know if this is the fault of Retroarch or Mupen64plus.

1. I heard switching to Rice as a GFX plugin would fix my LoT issue above. So I switch to Rice, and then I leave the ROM and come back. ROM restarts, hangs for just a second, then puts me on the Retroarch main menu (the Android style one, not RGUI). I have to clear the data to get back into the ROM. Unfortunately, that still means no Lens for me.

2. This is by far the least of these problems, more like a minor annoyance, but a potentially crippling one. I have to save states every time I switch to another app from Retroarch when Mupen is running. The reason? When I switch back, a black screen greets me. The audio still plays, I can still control the character, and so on, but none of that is of any use if I can’t see anything. If the RGUI was up when I switched apps, then the bottom left corner will sit there, cut off from the rest of the menu, while the rest is black. Closing and reopening the menu fixes it, which allows me to restart the ROM (loading the previous state does nothing) and from there I can load the state and continue playing as normal. My only problem is as follows: If Majora’s Mask - or, any game, really - bugs me into an impassable state (as above) and then I have to save the state to leave and do anything about it, I risk messing up my game if the bug is irreversible.

My, did this turn into a wall of text! I was right, I do have horribly misshapen fingers after this. Well worth it though, if this can be fixed. Majora’s Mask is definitely my favorite Zelda game of the ones I’ve played. Retroarch is wonderful so far, and I want to thank the creators for all their great effort! If anybody needs any more information, I will be simply overjoyed to give it to you. Please, somebody help!

Multitasking works fine on my Nexus 5, I can resume a game hours later and it still works… Maybe try a newer build from the buildbot? http://buildbot.libretro.com

Sorry, but I’m going to have to get back to you on this tomorrow, not only because it’s 1 in the morning and I need at least some vestige of sleep, but also because my Wi-Fi went to snail school instead of Internet school whilst growing up, and the ETA is 1hr+. So I’ll get back to you on this… Later today, technically.

Sorry for the delay! I only just now got a chance to look…

Downloaded the latest nightly. Majora’s Mask crashed immediately upon loading. Booted me to the Android style menu. So I uninstalled it and redownloaded the Play Store version, which still had multitasking issues. Any ideas?