Offload Rendering to GPU?

I’m running RetroArch 1.3.6 (with shaders) on a Laptop with an Intel i7 CPU and an Nvidia GPU.

Most programs are displayed using the CPU’s Intel HD Graphics 4000. But I can specify through Nvidia Control Panel to use the more powerful GPU instead. http://i.imgur.com/d2fsHOI.png

The CPU temperatures shoot up to 82c while the GPU stays at 50c, which tells me it’s not being used.

Can the Graphics Card be used or is everything rendered by the CPU? I was hoping it would drop the temps by offloading it.

The only thing from RetroArch that really stresses the GPU is shaders, and HD4000 can get full speed on most already. Mednafen-psx HW, PPSSPP and Mupen64plus-libretro will stress your GPU a little more than the fully software-rendered cores, but even they will still be CPU-bottlenecked, generally.

I switched to Mednafen PSX HW and noticed the GPU temps go up, so it must be working. The CPU temps still stayed high.

What is HW doing exactly? It uses the pc’s actual hardware instead of emulating console hardware?

HW = GPU instead of just CPU.