Oldschool RetroArch - skin/theme question - XBOX Black

I found the old 1.0.0.2 version of RA for the original XBOX, but it looks like garbage. Is there a skin for it?

I rememebr back in the day when this was the big thing for old XBOX development, it looked really nice and was really pumped up, but in the version I have, it’s just a black background with text links.

I dont expect anything modern, but if tehre were skins available for it similar to those available for the old XBOX emu’s from guys like Mednafen or XPorts, it would be really nice.

p.s. i like the fast forward options on the old xbox emu’s, did RA support that?

with the death of xbox-scenes.com, it’s hard to find solid support for old XBOX related programs. that said, RA did have a moment on XBOX so hopefully oldschoolers will be able to help.

thanks for reading.

I think RGUI is the only menu that works on OG Xbox. That is, the one with the green border and checkerboard background.d

1 Like

right, ive seen this on PC ports i’ve tinkered with of RA,

If this works on OG XBOX that would certainly help.

Im looking into it, thanks for this much at least. I do appreciate it.

I’ve found this, and it’s not so bad. It’s pretty much how min looks, only mine isn’t displaying the top header.

I actually don’t mind not having the box arts and stuff because those never sucessfully displayed for me in old XBOX emu’s to begin with, so long as I get the same functionality I reckon I’m alright.

I’ll keep tinkering and exploring.

Did this support fast forwarding? I guess that’s really my only question left now, because of all the features of the old emu’s, i REALLY liked the fast forward option to progress games.

Does anyone know of any tutorials or lists of working and non working roms for this?

Yoshi’s Island for example doesn’t load. As well, After Burner II didn’t load, nor did other Sega CD roms.

It does list that certain BIOS files (or something) are missing. if these are able to be added to the system that would be nice to know, I’m not finding much out there.

If need be I can stick to classic emulation, as Double Dragon II for Genesis had awful slow-motion processing issues; however if these are all correctable that would be great, as RA seems to save a LOT of hard drive space.

I wont expect a whole lot of support here because a lot of guys will say it’s past its life expectancy, but if anyone knows of any old resources about OG XBOX RA it would be nice.

Oh, right, I had forgotten about the Xbox ports having their own menu.

As for FF, the only thing we have is disabling vsync and letting the emulator run as fast as it can, which, on the Xbox, probably isn’t much faster than normal.

Sega CD indeed needs a BIOS file, which you put in your ‘system’ directory. I’m not sure where that would be in the Xbox port, though.

1 Like

Oddly enough, if you bring up the context overlay menu during gameplay, it looks very nice, the fonts are smooth and it does not overscan. I really like this about RA, because I can just jump into another systems game without having to exit the emulator, load another, and start gameplay. This was a very cool and powerful function RA implemented over the old school emulation process.

Overscanning may be an issue with this being a 1.6 XBOX which had the lousy Xcalibur" video processor, although I wouldn’t know as much as those oldschoolers did back in the day about that.

I was able to implement the fast forward option, it was in the system options.

I love archive.org, and you should, too.

While that page doesn’t show much of anything for support, I am hoping to find support through the archive.