Online Updater doesn't work on my Nvidia Shield Portable anymore

I think the Online Updater stopped working sometime when I was in Android 4.4.2 on my Nvidia Shield Portable over a year ago (I think) and I once factory reset my Nvidia Shield Portable, updating to Android 5.1 and the Online Updater still doesn’t work on it (and I don’t want to factory reset again in case if it still doesn’t work). Online Updater works on the Windows version on my Windows 10 computer, as well as the Android version in the Droid4X Android emulator on my computer. And I have used nightly builds on the site and the stable releases on Google Play but none of the latest ones worked.

Core Updater, Thumbnails Updater, Content Downloader, Update Core Info Files, and everything else fails to download on my Nvidia Shield Portable. I checked other topics regarding this but none of them had solutions that worked on my Nvidia Shield Portable.

I checked the Retroarch.cfg file in Internal Storage/Android/data/files with NotePad++ on my computer and the links for the Android assets and cores and stuff seems okay. I’m using no proxies for my WiFi on my Android if anyone’s going to ask.

Since the Online Updater doesn’t work for me, what folder(s) on my Nvidia Shield Portable do I place downloaded cores, shaders, etc. into? I think I saw in a different topic that cores go into data/data/Retroarch/cores but nothing is in my data folder unless if I need to root my Nvidia Shield Portable (I had my Shield Portable rooted back when I was on 4.4.2 so I might have to re-root). Is that correct?

Yes, to manually add cores, you need root.