Only Three Buttons Will Bind (Macbook, Wii Pro Controller)

I got an awesome hand me down Macbook for Christmas (2011 El Capitain, But this applies to Yosemite as well, I updated the OS X hoping for a fix) and naturally I want to turn it into a retro gaming hub. I’m intimately familiar with retroarch on PC, but I have never used anything Apple in my life. Details:

I can pair the wii pro to the macbook through the embedded bluetooth wjoy seemed incidental but for future reference, I have tried this with and without it running. RA sees the wii pro controller However, when I go to bind the keys, RA only seems to see three buttons on it… the start, select, and home button

I can bind those three buttons to whatever I want, but Dpad, analog, and a,b,x,y buttons (as well as bumper triggers) are not bindable. As an added bonus, RA doesn’t recognize any of my USB controllers.

I suspect this has more to do with OS X than RA, or some kind of user error, but just in case, if anyone has any suggestions I’m driving myself bananas, haha, and since I’m new to apple I’m also open to alternative ways/controllers you guys are using on similar products.

Thanks in advance,