.opt files are created automatically?

In the later versions of RetroArch, whenever i change something in the core options in N64 cores , the gamename.opt file is created automatically instead of me having to create the file manually like in older versions. This behavior creates a mess, tons of unneeded .opt files are in the folder now only because i’m experimenting with various options but i don’t want to save them unless i’m sure.

Anyone else finds this new behavior inconvenient? You get new .opt files per game or it messes with your old ones by merely changing core options to experiment and test things.

Tested the 7-01 nightly by loading a game in snes9x, turning on opposing directions and closing. No opt was created in config/snes9x for that game. It changed the option in retroarch-core-options.cfg like usual. Sure you don’t have some launcher that’s creating these opt files for you?

I have the “retroarch-core-options.cfg” as read only so it doesn’t change itself when i test games and options. I had it this way for years so this shouldn’t be the problem.

Maybe there’s something wrong with the N64 Mupen cores? The config/mupen folder gets crowded by game.opt files without me manually saving anything. I test options in these particular cores a lot because they aren’t 100% compatible with games by default. But for years i had to manually save by pressing the “create game option file” option when i found the options that work for each game.

Now the .opt files are created without me saving them. So i end up with per game options that either don’t even work or they don’t change anything. That behavior is definitely new for me.