Other distributions? Fedora?

Does anyone have any plans to port to other distros such as Fedora? I find it amazing that a wonder app like Retroarch is only available for Ubuntu and Arch. I currently run Ubuntu now, but would like to one day move away from it…but Retroarch keeps me here. I can’t have a system without it :slight_smile: I don’t know enough to port it myself or I would. Maybe someone running Fedora (or any distro not on the list) can have a go at it.

It’s not really a matter of porting anything, just packaging. That is, you wouldn’t need to actually touch any code; not even the Makefiles. Plus, I think you can convert debs to rpms using the ‘alien’ tool.

Just don’t expect to ever see RetroArch being added to RPMFusion: http://rpmfusion.org/Wishlist

Why not in Fedora : “If it requires ROMs of copyrighted or patented material to be useful, then it’s not permitted.” From https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensin … #Emulators

I was that wishlist. Sad really. Maybe I will try alien.

Weird, does debian have this issue with emulators?

eightbit, you can create rpm packages for libretro, or some script to download the l3iggs binaries and install in /opt and the config in /etc.

No, debian has a few emulators in their repos, notably bsnes was added a couple of versions ago.

Ubuntu works fine with retroarch, it is just not as snappy in other aspects as some other distros…and I have been trying to move away from Ubuntu (and ubuntu derivatives) for some time now. But, I have found the answer. I just tried the latest Rosa (Mandriva based) and their repos have the latest Retroarch builds with cores…installable from a fresh Rosa R4 install with no adding of repos. Great stuff. Runs great too. This should be added to the Linux available downloads page.

My buildbot builds for Fedora 20, 21 and Rawhide. I haven’t done too much testing but things seem to work. I’ll work on getting things read to distribute and post back here with some download links.

Great!!

I did a few builds for Fedora 20 myself with a view to maintaining a set of SPEC files based on the Arch Linux PKGBUILDs. This plan came a bit unstuck as I couldn’t find an elegant way to set a version number on the RPM with the source being downloaded from github. Do you have any pointers please?