Overrides per game - file naming and directory?

Hi All,

first time poster here, have been lurking a while and read everything I can find on this but cannot get it to work.

Setup is Windows 10, running Emulation Station as a front end with retroarch 1.7.0

Using the mame2003 libretro core (Yes an old version but I already had the roms) and trying to get hi-scores working.

Issue is that some games (example Donkey Kong) do not save hi-scores without save state whereas others (example joust) will save hi-scores without save state and actually refuse to load if save state is on.

So per rom overrides seems to be the way to go, I know how to create these individual cfg files, but from everything I have read I cannot figure out the naming convention or correct directory to store them.

I have tried rom.cfg and rom.zip.cfg in every directory that seems plausible but obviously I’m missing a step.

Can someone help, or am I better off just downloading a whole new set of roms and using later versions that (hopefully) have hi-score saving resolved.

Could you look at this part of the MAME 2003 documentation and see if it is pertinent? https://docs.libretro.com/library/mame_2003/#high-scores

Thanks markwkidd, this answers most questions about mame2003 itself, even some I didn’t ask but surely would have soon!

I still can’t figure out how to use save states for individual roms - the games where hi-score saving doesn’t work can save scores using save state so I’d like to get that working, mostly because my son and I are very competitive on Donkey Kong :slight_smile:

My suggestion is to pick one ROM that you are having save state trouble with, then post details here about what you tried along with your RetroArch logs