Parallel 64 gamepad mapping

So I got Parallel 64 to work and so far my experience is fantastic. There’s only one issue: controls. I’m able to remap my Xbox360 gamepad, but it’s a nightmare doing this for every single game, as one config doesn’t work for another.

How do you work around this issue? Do you have a custom preset for N64, which you load into every game? Would you mind sharing it?

Thanks!

What do you mean by “one config doesn’t work for another.” ?

If you mapped your controller settings in Retroarch, it should apply the basic configuration once you launch a content with Parallel core. If you remap your settings once the content is running in the remap option, and use the “Save remap config for the core”, it should automatically load your configuration for any content using Parallel.

Also, check the line “core_specific_config” in your Retroarch.cfg file. The option should be set to “true”.

The N64 controller is the hardest to config because of it’s shape and the C-Buttons. Basically, the C-Buttons can either be camera control (which makes sense to bind them to the right analog stick) or various actions in other games (which means the N64 pad becomes a 6 face buttons pad) so that complicates things.

As a default i bind the C-Buttons to the right analog. Then the digital shoulders to L+R and Z-trigger to the left analog trigger. N64 “A” is 360 “A” and N64 “B” is 360 “X”. Y and B on the 360 pad aren’t used.

This works for me and i don’t mind doing actions in some games by pushing a direction on the right analog stick. Also, most of the time i don’t change the controls per game through RetroArch, i keep the same setup and change the controls by the in-game menus. Many N64 games have control options themselves and it’s usually better to configure them from there.

For FPS games like Goldeneye you might want to make new configs though.

Ok try these files:

Put the folder in the config/remap folder. Make sure you are using the latest version of RetroArch.

The mupen remap file is the core default and the other one is for Goldeneye obviously. Just rename the file to fit the rom name or load the file in the control options. Then save it and make sure you allow overrides so you won’t have to load it manually everytime you load this game.

Also, make sure you go to Goldeneye’s in game options as well and change the control scheme to “1.2 Solitaire”. This same file should also work for Perfect Dark (just copy and remane the file to fit the rom name). This should allow you to play Goldeneye/PD using the analog sticks like in a modern shooter and aim/shoot with the left/right trigger.

1 Like