ParaLLel N64 black screen on loading content in Windows Vista

I’ve installed the MSVC++ 2017 redistributable (32-bit, and using 32-bit Retroarch). Both fullscreen and windowed modes don’t work. I can press F1 to display the Retroarch overlay, but quitting Retroarch causes it to freeze, and it becomes unresponsive. Genesis Plus GX works fine. Video driver is “gl”.

Does ParaLLeL N64 with the “angrylion” graphics plugin require more than a dual core processor?

parallel-n64-astick-deadzone = "15"
parallel-n64-pak1 = "none"
parallel-n64-pak2 = "none"
parallel-n64-pak3 = "none"
parallel-n64-pak4 = "none"
parallel-n64-disable_expmem = "enabled"
parallel-n64-gfxplugin-accuracy = "veryhigh"
parallel-n64-send_allist_to_hle_rsp = "enabled"
parallel-n64-gfxplugin = "angrylion"
parallel-n64-rspplugin = "cxd4"
parallel-n64-screensize = "320x240"
parallel-n64-aspectratiohint = "normal"
parallel-n64-filtering = "nearest"
parallel-n64-dithering = "disabled"
parallel-n64-polyoffset-factor = "-3.0"
parallel-n64-polyoffset-units = "-3.0"
parallel-n64-angrylion-vioverlay = "disabled"
parallel-n64-virefresh = "auto"
parallel-n64-bufferswap = "enabled"
parallel-n64-framerate = "fullspeed"
parallel-n64-alt-map = "disabled"
parallel-n64-vcache-vbo = "disabled"
parallel-n64-boot-device = "Default"
parallel-n64-64dd-hardware = "disabled"

I’m having a similar issue.

I just installed RetroArch for the first time, used the GUI to download the ParaLLEI N64 core, and pointed it at my ROMs. I know the ROMs work because I’ve used them in Project 64 before. I’m using all the other default settings. Upon trying to run any N64 ROM, it simply shows a white screen with no sound, with no error indicators whatsoever.

I also tried running the following from the command line so I could at least get some logs: ./retroarch_debug.exe --verbose --log-file log.txt. This also failed with the following two lines: [ERROR] Fatal error received in: “retroarch_parse_input()” [ERROR] This core requires a content file.

OS: Windows 8 GPU: GeForce GTX 970 CPU: i7-4790K (4 cores, 8 virtual)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Like

I don’t get that parsing error. Anyone have any idea, at all? I have a suspicion that this is GPU-related, even though this is supposed to be a CPU-only configuration.

The parse_input error is probably not related to the OP problem.

Threaded angrylion requires a very strong CPU that supports multiple threads. I don’t know why you would be getting a black screen instead of just very poor performance, but whatever.

“parse input” suggests something wrong with your launch line if you’re using a frontend or bad ROMs if not (yes, I know you mentioned that they work with PJ64 but that doesn’t really tell us anything).

Concurrency bug, AKA something is assumed about the execution environment (like minimum number of cores), since there’s no documented minimum system requirements.

Definitely shouldn’t be freezing and forcing a crash.

I have an i7-4790K. 4 cores, 8 logical processors. I would be surprised if that was not powerful enough to run the application.

This is exactly the issue I’m getting. I can’t start a thread asking about it, so I basically have to revive this old one to ask.

Try to change this:

parallel-n64-screensize = “320x240”

to

parallel-n64-screensize = “640x480”