PBP File Support in the Retroarch Folder Scanner (PSP Compressed PSX Images)

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to add PBP file support for the automatic folder scanner in Retro Arch. Mednafen PSX seems to support it when navigating to the file manually while the core is loaded. But RetroArch automatic scanner only seems to pick ISO or CUE/BIN files ignoring completely the PBP files.

Is there are reason why PBP files are not picked? (Even if PBP files are PSP binary files, there must be some kind of footprint that indicates that it’s a PSX image). Is this some feature that may be implemented in the future?

I’m relatively new to RetroArch so maybe it’s just me doing something wrong.

Any info highly appreciated. Thanks.

IIRC, our scanner hashes the cue sheets rather than the entire files, since it would take a very long time to hash a large number of 700 MB files. Unless PBPs have a magic number somewhere that we can tie into, I don’t think it’s going to fly, since they’re still quite large at 350+ MB.

You can still use scripts and/or playlist creation utilities to create playlists from them.

As a matter of fact, the pbp files I’ve looked at all have the game’s ID code at 0x130. The rdb files have the same codes, so it could be done probably. Kind of a departure from the norm to compare part of the file instead of hashing, but then again, hashing a cue sheet is kind of a funny idea anyway (rename the bin, change the reference in the cue, and the hash is wrong!). Would also have to do a lookup by ID instead of CRC…but maybe. IDK I’m not a developer (maybe someday).

As for the moment, however, I used this tool to get my pbps in order. I recommend renaming the files to the names it retrieves; it makes repeated scanning and debugging much easier. For multi-disc games, just edit the lpl manually and remove the “(Disc 1)” from the name if it bugs you.

I built from source on Linux and ran the nightly that came out a few hours ago for windows, no dice—that is, unless I made a mistake. I’m just a scrub with a hex editor, so it’s pretty likely. But I saw your edits on the master branch on GitHub, so I’m using them, right? I was able to add other games to playlists, so it’s not the databases.

Why don’t we just add some kind of .CUE (.CUP ?) text-based file that mimics those hashes, and then we re-use the same code? Sounds easier to me…

The extension would be .pbp in the path contained by the .cup file, as opposed to .bin in a .cue, so the checksum would be different. You would have to addend other, basically random characters in a comment or something to make it match, or we’d have to compute new checksums for all the existing cue files with the different extension, which is a pretty lame hack kind of solution. Besides, the whole draw of pbp (besides compression) is having one file per game, right?

at least 2 places you can match the serial with eboot images, @0x130 (format SLUS01019) or at DATA.PSAR offset(format SLUS_01019) but both do not match current dat which is in the format SLUS-01019. my “noob” programming skills is not able to add ‘-’ from location #1 or replace ‘_’ to ‘-’ from location #2 to match current serial(so that it can share Sony - PayStation database) :smiley:

So what’s the status of this?

haha, i really forgot how i got pbp scanning to work before… and seems like the code for scanning the serials has changed too,