PBP files no longer working on pcsx rearmed core for Android

Just downloaded the core from the online updater and it can no longer open my pbp ps1 games, why was support removed? Anyone with this issue?

Seems there might be a problem with the android build

someone update the whole android mk files of almost all cores. something must have been left out.

This… is a weird bug. I’ve definitely replicated it. But only on armv7. I recently managed to get the core running natively on aarch64/arm64 and pbps load just fine there. I’ll continue looking into it, but it may require a lot of tracing to find the real culprit.

Edit: Noticed I’m using my other screenname here. I’m the one working on the android build system stuff for now.

Seems the current build is failing (acording to the buildbot log in discord)

I/RetroArch(10621): Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.
I/RetroArch(10621): unsupported/invalid CD image: /storage/sdcard0/roms/SLUS01384/EBOOT.PBP
E/RetroArch(10621): Failed to load content.

UPDATE: im not sure what PBP title i tested earlier, but now PBP are not loading in linux 64bit (both compiled and buildbot versions). but i have a FFVII PBP that is 2.1 GB (2212574811bytes) and that loaded fine…

this is where it seems to fail:

UPDATE: found another PBP dump thats about 400mb only and that worked fine. so PCSX PBP support has probably been picky since… tried downgrading core to sometime Aug 2017 same issue. i am not able to compile retroarch for android, so i cannot test–probably an update in retroarch could have something to do with it too (a similar PBP issue in psx was fixed when a related libretro-common file for filestream was updated.)

Is there any way to use the older working version of the core on Android without root?

updated my previous reply. my thoughts, PCSX pbp support could have been picky to begin with, but not sure since i never used pcsx, nor played much on android.

RE: UPDATE: found another PBP dump thats about 400mb only and that worked fine. so PCSX PBP support has probably been picky since… tried downgrading core to sometime Aug 2017 same issue. i am not able to compile retroarch for android, so i cannot test–probably an update in retroarch could have something to do with it too (a similar PBP issue in mednafen_psx was fixed when a related libretro-common file for filestream was updated.)

Seeing how hit and miss the problem is, I’m thinking it’s a pre-existing bug that was somehow triggered on android by my changes to the buildbot. Digging that far into the code is out of my league for the moment, though, especially while I’m still working on the build system.

Link to the previous version of the core that ran pbp, if anyone needs it:

You need root to copy it to the RetroArch cores folder, if you don’t have root you can run RetroArch through an app like parallel space and you can access the RetroArch cores folder without root that way to place the core there.

1 Like

what is the version of the retroarch thats installed that runs this core? because i just tested that, and the PBP files that failed to load in my above test still fails to load here… but i am using the latest retroarch from buildbot…

That’s weird, are you using Android 32 or 64 bit? I am using this RetroArch recent build and I can load pbp using that older core:

android 32bit. im using the newest available from buildbot. lemme re-install the one from googleplay since that is older and see if things are better.

Ok thanks, let me know if you need any of my pbp files to test too.

nah still does not work on mine. although from your testing since it works with older core, then that is probably more than just a pbp compatibility issue there.

@talos91

ive tested the problematic pbp you sent… and indeed it works fine with the older pcsx_rearmed core (commit https://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed/commit/ea4f4384c24996e839106d515f000269b5cfc792), but that was before the change to use clang compiler probably. anything newer fails to load the PBP

ive tried to compile the same commit and it fails, probably because my compiler is also using clang…

1 Like

Yeah the older core can load pbp files just fine for other people too:

So it seems the clang compiler broke the pbp support in some way.

1 Like

It seems the issue is fixed now in the latest core build:

Wow amazing job as usual guys! What caused the bug?

seems the issue was an easy mix: https://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed/commit/661e95f6360e9bcace4531c0ca529238629e49f6

well, thats good that we dont need to convert stuff to filestream atm. weird that that define fixes psx pbp while not in pcsx, have to check pbp files with larger size than 2.1gb…