PCSX ReArmed - Latest nightly broken

Hi guys, thanks for the amazing work as always. It appears the latest nightly of PCSX ReArmed causes a crash when loading content. I’ve tried it in different versions of Retroarch (1.3.6 latest, 1.3.6 stable) with the same result. Mednafen PSX working fine.

Using a Shield K1 tablet with all the latest updates (Android 6.0.1). The nightly before this one (from yesterday I believe) worked fine.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I am able to download the version from yesterday off the buildbot, but my tablet is not rooted and it appears the Retroarch data directory where the core dylibs reside is not in user accessible space without root.

Thank you for your assistance.

http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5788 Post #9 has fix for now.

Thanks for this. Interesting reading. Unfortunately, there are two issues.

Firstly, as mentioned in previous threads I don’t know how to overwrite the current non-working core file without root.

If I were to specify a new Cores directory in the Settings/Directory menu, then redownload cores from the Online Updater, and finally overwrite with the PCSXReArmed core you linked would that work? I will try it.

Also, and here is the wierd part, it looks like people have been having this issue since June. But strangely, I only had it after updating the core today. I updated last night and had no problems at all. Very odd.

This should work and I’ve told people to do basically this many times, but I recently heard from radius that the core location is actually hardcoded(?) in the android port, so you can’t change it to anything else. You may still want to give it a shot, but just FYI in case it doesn’t work.

Yep, it doesn’t work. So strange that this error popped up out of nowhere. Definitely something introduced in the past week (for me anyway).

Seeing as many people (myself included) are reluctant to root their devices, would it be possible to add the last known working build of PCSX ReArmed to the online updater for Android?

Why on earth would or should the location for that be hard coded? Can’t that be changed?

I forget the reasoning. Perhaps radius can pop in and explain.

There is a way to get custom cores to go into the right location without rooting: if you set up your own webserver on your local network and create a file named “.index” that has the name of the core libs you want. Then, in your retroarch.cfg, point your core_updater_buildbot_url at the custom webserver.

Not easy, certainly, but if you already have a webserver set up for other reasons, it’s easy enough to add this functionality to it.

That certainly is one way to do it! It’s funny, I never though from switching from iOS (nonJB) to Android specifically for Retroarch, that Android would be MORE restrictive than iOS!!

Honestly though, would it be possible to leave known stable versions of each core on the Online Updater considering that is the only way to update cores on Android without root? It seems like it would allow people to experiment with nightly builds without the fear of breaking something and not being able to undo it. I realize that will be a time commitment from you guys, who already put so much time into helping us enjoy our retro games, but aside from that is there a downside?

Thanks

It’s a thing I’d like to do and we’ve discussed it before but Twinaphex is specifically against reducing the number of testers for nightly cores. I think it’s probably worth revisiting if we’re not going to fix things right away, though.

I agree that reducing the number of testers should be avoided. However, when you consider that many RetroArch users AVOID the nightlys because of fear of breaking a working setup, offering a rollback option will make people more willing to update and only serve to increase the number of testers.

Especially when, given your small staff, fixes can take weeks to months (remember when the iOS 9 cores were all broken for 2 months just because the buildbot was linking to the iOS8 builds?).

I always have historically kept backups of my cores and maintained a “known working versions” directory so I could access nightlys without fear. But Android’s setup makes that practice impossible without placing one’s device at risk by rooting (cores stored in user-inaccessible location, core directory hard coded within the app).

I have turned many people on to RetroArch over the past several years, especially on iOS. My first piece of advice to new users (usually who I have helped get a working setup) is NOT to ever update anything! I would love to be able to tell people to update away, as you can always roll back if something breaks.

It seems like there really wouldn’t be a downside. Mistakes are going to happen. Fixes take time. Offering a safety net will only increase the number of willing testers.

I’d love to hear TwinAphex’s thoughts on this if possible.

FIXED! Thank you very much, the latest nightly fixed the crash on my Shield K1. I’d love to know what the problem was. Either way, thanks for fixing it so quickly.

Regarding the issue I raised above about having “rollback” cores available in the online updater… at least for Android where the individual core files are inaccessible to most… do you think that would be worth starting a thread in the RetroArch General forum to discuss? If primary sticking point is that you fear it will discourage people from trying the nightlies, I can assure you the opposite is true! I for one will avoid nightlies completely on Android from now on, now that I’ve learned that there is no way to backup or manually change out a broken core without root.

Yes this appears to be working now. Thank you. :slight_smile: However, it does appear to be not quite up to speed. I notice some slight slowdown on Tekken 3 fight intros. Nothing dramatic, but it wasn’t there before.

Hey guys,

I THINK I read from Radius that the hard coded core directory was to guarantee android file permissions.

As to the core roll back I agree with Silletto. I COMPLETELY avoid nightlies for the sole reason of not being able to go back if it’s not working. This also prevents me from updating aswell because as yet I have not confirmed the app updating Process and if it will delete my cores in doing so. I just can’t start from scratch again.

I would happily love to test stuff for you guys IF I had a way to restore my working cores. I don’t plan on rooting my device to do this.

Also, while working the new core appears to be intermittently crashing when attempting to either load a state or save to the memory card.

I say intermittent because so far what I’ve I’ve found is that I am able to either load a state or a save file when initially booting a game. However, if I attempt to save after the initial load, i get a crash. It happens with either saving a state or attempting to access the memory card. Unfortunately I don’t know how to print a log file in android (on Shield K1, 6.0.1) or I would show it here (recently switched from iOS specifically for RetroArch!)

While this isn’t a concern for “pick up and play” games, it’s kind of a deal breaker for RPG lovers like myself. I realize what a difficult and thankless task it must be trying to get Android cores working across hundreds of devices, but seeing as this is a new issue introduced since the latest working update it is once again something that would be solved by allowing “rollback” cores via the online updater.

Even if you guys don’t have time to find the fox for PCSXReArmed for android right now, I’d love to hear your thoughts about offering rollback cores as a way to encourage nightly testing.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just realized, the .srm file I am loading from has been transferred from iOS9, and seeing as I am able to load from it this may just be a write-permission issue. I will test and let you know.

EDIT2: Fixed. The .srm file itself got corrupted somehow. Earlier .srm works fine. Thx