PCSX_Rearmed on x86-x64?

Hey, the linux builds included both Mednafen_PSX and PCSX_Rearmed on the x86 builds? Mednafen works great but has quite high system requirements and so its not working that well on my AMD Kabini machine. PCSX_Rearmed seems to work as well but it is even slower, atleast the builds i tried. Isnt this an arm optimized emulator?

Are there any plans to get PCSX-Reloaded available as Core? It works great even on slower hardware, tho not as accurate as mednafen.

Thanks for this great project btw!

That is correct. PCSX ReARMed is pretty much useless outside of ARM hardware.

I don’t think anyone has really expressed interest in porting it. One of the biggest problems would be the lack of useful open-source graphics plugin. From what I’ve seen all good ones are closed-source making it impossible to port them over.

arent the included plugins all opensource, even the peops OpenGL Plugin? i mean they are in the official debian repositories which mean they have to be GPL or am i wrong?

You’re right, PEOPS OpenGL is open-source, however both Pete’s OpenGL2 and gpuBladeSoft are notably superior. It should be possible to port over PCSX-R with the PEOPS OpenGL plugin, but the end result wouldn’t really be worth it.

I’m not saying it’s never going to happen, but the developer interest is quite low.

i guess there is no plan for optimizing the pcsx_rearmed back to x64 either :wink: its one of the most active psx emulators atm i guess…

Don’t you mean PCSXR?

In my opinion, the point of porting PCSX-Reloaded to libretro should be to offer a lower-spec alternative to Mednafen. The issue, of course, is that the PEOpS plugins are quite inaccurate and suffer from incompatibilities. However, one way to bring it closer to Mednafen’s level might be to add PCSX-ReARMed’s NEON plugin to it, as it is quite accurate, albeit slow without NEON extensions. Low-spec toasters that cannot handle NEON could stick to PEOpS Soft, or try their hand at OpenGL if they really want hi-res graphics despite all the issues that come with it. Likewise, on the audio front, there could be a choice between the older PEOpS DSound 1.09 plugin, and the slower but more accurate PEOpS 1.10b.

PCSX-ReARMed has been ported to RA linux at least but it’s far from usable, lots of graphic glitches

Last I tried it on Linux, it seemed to work fine, although I only tried Crash Team Racing and Silent Hill.

In any case, a PCSX-Reloaded core would be better, as its core emulation is more accurate than PCSX-ReARMed’s, and it has both x86 and x86_64 dynarecs (to my understanding), which would help with speed.

I tried about 10 games with PCSX-ReARMed on x86 and the majority had at least some graphical glitches, sometimes to the point of unusability. The problem with the NEON renderer on x86 is that it doesn’t just do the same stuff slower, it uses a different codepath for those parts, and that fallback path is where the glitches come from, apparently.

A PCSXr port would have to be a libretro-gl port, and it would only serve a small market (i.e., people on super-crappy desktops/laptops). Not saying it won’t happen, but it’s a lot of work for little payoff.

its a pitty that all those better gpu plugins are closed source… but my experience with even the peops opensource ones wasnt that bad, atleast in 3D Games.

i dont if its just me but those “super-crappy” desktop system :wink: like the newer Intel Atom or AMD Kabini are great for HTPCs and Emulation Systems. PSX (atleast the majority of 3D Games) is the only System of RetroArch i cant really emulate on my Setup (Excluding moderrn MAME Systems that really need a high end pc). And it even runs many other comercial indie games and software thats are not available for those embedded ARM Devices.