Per game config override not working (on Windows)

So, I have downloaded this overlay pack:

Want to try on my windows build but I found some “problems”. I know there are some other post talking about the config override but it seems to work diferently on windows.

On my rpi I put a the “.zip.cfg” file for example:

“1943.zip.cfg” alongside my rom “1943.zip” and it loads the override config ok.

On windows it doesnt work , so I´ve created a “MAME” folder inside my “config” folder and then put this file inside. Here comes the problem , retroarch only loads the right config if I rename the file as “1943.cfg” not “1943.zip.cfg” The same with Vectrex , “Vecx” folder inside “config” and it only works if I rename all the config files avoiding the rom extension.

Anyone can “confirm” me what I´m doing wrong?As far as I know I have to create “romname.romextension.cfg” for per game config override and “romname.cfg” files for overlays.

Hello

I’m new here and can’t create a new topic, so I tried to find a topic similar to my issue and reply there. Hopefully people will read this and respond.

I’ve recently been configuring individual game configs in order to use game specific overlays from The Bezel Project. It had gone well so far, as long as the config file has exactly the same filename as the rom. But I have realized something incredibly annoying:

1. The config files for each game have to be below a certain amount of characters in length. After testing for SNES I realized 84 characters was the limit. The problem is a lot of the configs are installed with the no-intro rom set file names in mind, where some of them are longer than this 84 character limit. The game starts fine, but there is no overlay shown. Is there a way to increase this character limit, or remove it entirely?

2. It seems like it depends on the core used as well. Beetle PCE Fast for example can’t handle more than around 40 characters long config files, which of course covers quite a few more of the installed configs. I find it weird that such an undertaking as the Bezel Project with a lot of long file names didn’t realize this, but perhaps again there is a way to remove this limitation that I’m just not aware of.

Looking forward to any replies! Thanks for you help! :slight_smile:

I could be wrong but those aren’t just simple overlays that @Orionsangel is using. They’re shader presets for HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader. I’ve never used this pack and so I’ve never read the setup instructions but if you load the bezels by loading a shader preset then if you want that specific bezel preset to load automatically with a particular game you would need to save a Game Preset in the Shader menu.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.