Per Game Core Options input config

I could have sworn when I first started using the stable version, that it was possible to remap all the keys, and have it auto-load when that game is loaded.

For example, I’m playing Ape Escape with Mednafen Playstation, then I switch to King’s Field, and switch the L/R and L2/R2 buttons mapping to the right thumbstick, so that I can strafe left and right and look up and down with it like a modern controller. Then when I’m done setting up the new controls, I go to quick options/options/game-options file and I’d be good to go, and these new controls would only load for that game.

Is there a way to do this? I know you can remap the keys to a degree in quick menu/controls, but I really need the main interface to map specific directions on the right thumbstick.

Did a little bit of research to try to figure out exactly how things work… I must have created a new config for that specific game, and then manually loaded it. Seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

It’s funny to me how I can misremember things.

In the quick menu, there’s an option labeled ‘controls’ where you can set up core/game-specific control schemes (that is, you can shuffle the retropad buttons around on your physical gamepad). The only problem currently is that you can’t map analog controls to digital buttons or vice versa.

Yo i had the same problem and figured it out. I’m not sure if your solution works perfect or if you are 100% happy with it (i don’t really understand/get it) (english is not my native languige). But in my case, i just start retroarch and scroll to the right on the main menu (where the Controller Icons are) choose a game/rom and it loads automaticly my button mapping i have layed out for it - ether for the entire core (like NES) - or a custom button mapping for just 1 game. It works like a charm!