Per System Config?

I know there is per core configs, but is there a way to load a different configs for different systems using the same core? For example Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, and Sega CD all use the genesis-plus-gx core, but I want different configs for each.

Nope, RetroArch doesn’t have any concept of systems, only cores.

If you can compile your own cores, you can change their internal names (e.g., genplusgx-md, genplusgx-gg, etc.) and then make your own info files for them, which will make RetroArch see them as distinct cores even though there’s nothing really different about them. That’s what I did for a few of them here: https://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5391

Hmm, I think I’ll just set the --config flag in my front end to point to different places for each system for now…

On linux compiling wouldn’t be a problem for me, but I’m so lost when it comes to doing it on windows. I’ll have to take a weekend and see if I can figure out cygwin or something.

cross-compiling Windows cores from linux using mingw is really easy, if you’d like to try that. It’s how I made those.

But yeah, just pointing to a different config with a launcher works just fine, too!

Without actually testing this (because I’m lazy), could you copy the core (e.g. copy the gen-plus-gx.dll or whatever it’s called to a file called gen-plus-gx-MasterSystem.dll, then configure retroarch to load that renamed core for whatever alternate system you wanted to use in the playlist options, then set up your custom configurations from there? Would that work? I’d totally try that, if I cared.

Edit: Nope… doesn’t seem to work. Would be awesome if it did.

Right, overrides use the core’s internal name, which is compiled in. However, it’s very easy to change it and compile a new one (as per the instructions in my linked post), if necessary.

Oh right… yeah, I read the initial post, and kinda skipped the rest. Cool that you have a solution for this.