Performance in emulation?

A gtx 280 how is the performance in emulation? (padding to upload the post)

1 Like

From what I can see the GTX 750 has about 200% better performance and I would consider it to be a bare minimum.

The GTX 280 does out perform the Intel HD iGPUs though so if it is all you have then it would be better than no dedicated card.

Honestly though… even the GT 1030 (~$100) is a better GPU so there is almost no reason to use the 280.

2 Likes

It’s not just the performance that is lacking. Being so old means it also only supports older versions of DirectX/OpenGL and of course, no Vulkan either. Many modern emulators won’t work at all.

It’s much better to get a cheap, low end newer card that at least supports DX11. It will support more modern stuff and chances are it will probably be faster too. The 200 series is way too old.

2 Likes

I see , but is for a old build it , I mean the cpu is a pentium d 930 with 4 gb drr3 , so is that because I buy that GPU

Should be fine for emulating 8-bit and 16-bit systems. So stuff like NES, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Boy, etc, it should be fine.

For anything more modern, it’s gonna be tough. I don’t think SwanStation (for PS1 emulation) will run. PCSX ReArmed might (maybe.)

However, if you can find a newer GPU that can still be used on the system, that would be nice. This should help avoid compatibility issues.

2 Likes

A used Radeon HD 6750 or GT 640 shouldn’t be that much more expensive.Less power consumption, and still Windows XP support if you want. Retroarch-wise they’re sufficient for running PCSX ReArmed or Swanstation at 1080p with Guest Advanced Shader.

1 Like

Your gpu won’t matter much for anything software-rendered (mostly 2D systems, but also software-rendered 3D emulators like pcsx-rearmed or yabause). With that gpu+cpu, i’m not 100% sure but you might have to forget about anything beyond 32-bits consoles.

2 Likes

I remember trying to fit a gtx280 (XFX) into my PC, it barely fit but there was something I didn’t know before even trying, it required 2x6 pin which my power supply didn’t have. But wow, this beast eats up to 236W, it’s more than my old i7-2600+gtx1660ti+the rest combined at max power. We take for granted that today, but after this era, they decided to optimize performance with less power consumption possible. There are iGPUs today that can handle modern gaming at 1080p60, which is impressive. Other than that, it’s still a good GPU, but like others said, if the application requires modern drivers and features it can be a problem. If it works without problems, all emulators up to the Switch will upscale games up to 1080p I believe. If you already have it, that is, if you’re still planning on buying this card for this, than there are many better options that will not only outperform it in every way, but will also save you from surprisingly expensive energy bills.

1 Like

Yeah, i forgot about the power consumption.

This card is an old high-end which means, by today’s standards, it consumes too much power for what it offers. Do you even have a good enough power supply to feed this beast? The 280 isn’t worth it, not even for an old system.

A GTX 750 will consume less than 4X the amount and offer nearly 2X the performance while also supporting more modern APIs for better compatibility with modern emulators.

2 Likes