Performance question

Hello everyone,

I have Pentium-J2900 “Bay Trail” system (4-Cores, 2.4 GHz, Intel HD Graphics), since it is a power saving CPU, it is ass slow, however, it should be comparable to an “AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 4200+”, or a Pentium 4 ~2.5GHz (compare http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html ) It certainly should pack more of a punch than a Raspberry Pi, however, I can’t run any PSX emulator without issues, and many games of the N64 are crackly/stuttering as hell.

I remember using a Pentium 4 seven years ago to emulate a PSX (also integrated Intel graphics) and it worked, pretty fine! My friends tell me how shitty their PC is on which they use their N64 emulator on, etc.

I don’t use any shaders, and it doesn’t make the slightest difference (FPS wise) whether I run on 640x480 or on 1920x1280

Am I just out of luck? Or should it work? I already spent much time trying to tweak my settings, but with no luck, so has anyone any insight as to if it should be at least possible to run a PSX emulator core, or should I just give up. =D

Thank you for your time, and best regards, ufopaper

If you’re using mednafen, that’s quite a CPU intensive emulator… If you are in linux you could use the PCSX-ReARMed core

Try lowering the internal resolution and set the gfx plugin to gln64 in the core options. If all hope is lost you could also set it to rice instead, just expect lots of glitches then.

Thank you very much for the information, but it seems not to make any difference. I can play all games which are limited to 30 FPS very well, I can even use shaders. As soon as a game wants more than 30 FPS the sound gets crackly, I guess this is because I can’t deliver the full 60 FPS (?), but just ±40 depending on the game (sometimes only 9 or 16 :D)

Anyhow, I guess I need a better machine for emulating Gen5 consoles, maybe someone can use this thread as a mark for minimum system requirements.

Just a short question: Am I right in assuming that the dynamic recompiler of pcsx-rearmed only works with the ARM architecture?

Yes.

I have the weaker J1800 CPU board (Asrock D1800B-ITX) and i can not run retroarch(snes or genesis cores) 60 FPS at first. Then I discover that when I running retroarch the CPU scales down itself. Like when I’m browsing forums.

I solved the problem: in the BIOS setting turned off the Intel Speed Stepping. The CPU running at full speed all the time now, the temps are still good. I can run retroarch now at 60 FPS with CRT shaders. Tried nullDC(Dreamcast emulator) with Crazy Taxi running 49-50 fps at 720p50Hz.

Specs: Asrock D1800B-ITX 2Gb RAM WIN7