Performance questions about Angrylion multithread + Super VI Filter

So yesterday I tried some N64 emulation using Parallel 64 on Windows 10, Vulkan driver, Angrylion graphics plugin and cxd4 RSP plugin (so I guess I had Angrylion multithreading enabled ?).

My computer has an i7 3770K overclocked to 4.4 Ghz and a geForce 1080.

I tried the “Super VI filter” based on this video settings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_D_D419S0 (Nnedi shader + 2 anti-aliasing passes)with also Angrylion VI Overlay enabled).

I could not achieve constant 60 fps on any game that I tested without threaded video ON. Is that normal, or did I do something wrong ? I would love to be able to run the games on full framerate without having to use threaded video.

That sounds about right. You should be able to get fairly close to 60FPS with that CPU, but angrylion + VI really needs a heck of a lot of power. Try disabling VI for a decent boost.

Thanks ! You mean Angrylion’s VI Overlay ? I’m not fond of the image quality I get without the VI overlay…

By disabling the VI overlay you get slightly sharper image and a bit of performance gain but also a ton of dithering artifacts. It’s not worth it. But in some games it’s less noticeable than others.

This “super VI filter” in the video is also quite bad. You definitely don’t need this if you use Angrylion. The plugin itself looks accurate enough (with VI overlay ON) so you don’t need any shaders except maybe a scanline to simulate a CRT TV.

OK ; maybe I’ll try with the VI overlay and a nice CRT shader, then.

So I tried disabling the Super VI Filter and I only kept the VI Overlay with N64 “3point” filter + CRT-Royale Kurozumi Edition and I love the result ! I’ll definitely keep it that way ! Thanks !

1 Like