Performances on new tablets (Intel Atom X5, Core M)

Hi all, New to the forum, I am currently in the process of buying a new win10 tablet. Still not sure which one I will end up with, but it’s very likely to be based on one of these systems :

• Intel Atom x5 Z8500, Z8700…
  • Intel core M 5y10c, 5y70…

Still not sure I would go for a “premium” brand (dell, HP, lenovo) or chinese (teclast, ondo, cube)

this tablet would be mostly dedicated to games (steam) and emulation. I think a small (8/9 inch for atom, 10/11 for core M) tablet, coupled with a bluetooth controller would be the ultimate portable gaming machine :slight_smile:

I am wondering what type of performance I could obtain with retroarch and CRT shaders on such systems.

Some of these tablet have quite high resolution display, some of them even have a 4:3 display, ideal for emulation.

Could I get good results with those machines ? Is it worth it compared to an android based solution ? Would I have better/similar result installing retroarch on my ipad Air 2 ?

Thanks!

Windows will be much, much better than Android, no question. Shaders should be fine as long as the IGP/GPU is HD4000-quality or better, which I think is pretty likely these days.

RetroArch on iOS is pretty good but I think Win/Lin/Mac or Wii/PS3 are the best experiences.

That’s GameCube emulation on a core m tablet, and retroarch itself is excellent on my dell venue 8 pro, a baytrail tablet. Don’t know about shader performance as I don’t use them.

Thanks for the answers !

The tablet in the video uses a 5Y71 CPU.
I will likely take one with a 5y10 as there is a huge price gap between 5y10 and 5y71 !!
So I’m not sure it will be as good. But I don’t need Gamecube anyway :slight_smile: PS1/N64 would be perfect !

Another question about the shaders. … The tablet I’m looking at (Asus T300CHI) exists with 2 configs : 4GB/1080p or 8GB/1440p.

1440p would theoretically allow 6X integer sampling (for a 240p game) But it would be way too much for the GPU (Intel HD5300) , right ?

So I’d better take the 1080p one ($480 vs $550) . Am I correct ?

Thanks!!