PicoDrive video settings on PS2

Full disclaimer, I’m a total newbie when it comes to RetroArch.

I just installed the program on my PS2 using FreeMcBoot, and I’m using PicoDrive as the core. I have a question around video settings.

The game I am trying to play (am I able to say here?) loads and runs great. The problem is with the aspect ratio and video quality.

When I run the game, it looks stretched horizontally, making the screen look too skinny. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the game to run in its intended aspect ratio (which I’m assuming is 4:3). To avoid the “stretch”, I can set my TV to “widescreen”, but then it’s too wide, and it would be a pain to have to do that each time.

In addition, in terms of video quality, the game looks a little blurry. Are there any settings in either the PicoDrive core or RetroArch that can remedy this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

For the blurriness, try settings > video > bilinear filtering OFF. And for the stretching, try settings > video > scaling > aspect ratio 1:1 PAR.

1 Like

Bilinear filtering did help, thank you!

No luck on the aspect ratio though… any other thoughts?

Did you try any other aspect ratio settings than 1:1 PAR. I assumed that one would do the trick, but you may have to try some others. However, since the PS2 has a fixed output res, if the core’s output res doesn’t fit into it perfectly, you’re going to get “shimmering” from uneven pixel sizes on scrolling. Bilinear filtering helps with that at the cost of blur.

I tried 4:3, but that didn’t work either… I was wondering if there might be a specific resolution that I could try using?

If it’s too wide, try some thinner ones, like 3:4

The issue I’m having is that’s it’s too thin. I took a screengrab:

Skinny

The image on the left is how the game appeared in its original form. The one on the right, is what I’m getting.

Oh, in that case, try a wider one then, like 2:1 or 3:2

Well, no luck. I appreciate the help though. I wonder if it’s my TV settings, or how I set up GSM through FreeMcBoot…

any solution for this?