Pinball : make 2 GPIO controllers act as Player 1- Retroarch

Hi everybody.

I’ve made an arcade cabinet which works really great with retropie. I have a raspberry pi 3 b and my two controllers are connected directly to the GPIO. I have placed both select buttons of each player on the side of my cabinet with the aim of playing to pinball games as it should be !

But when i try to configure pinball game into retroarch, i can only set the left pinball button to first player. The second select button is a part of the 2nd player controller so i can not set it. Moreover when i try to set up the inputs in the retroarch menu, my device index can only be “GPIO controller 1” or “gpio controller 2”. I can not choose both for setting up the first player.

I dont have this issue with advmame for exemple. When i set user 1 inputs, if i press a player 2 arcade button, it is recognised without any problemes for the user 1. However pinball game on MAME are not the best pinball experience…

Are there any possiblities to overpass this by editing some retroarch files or something else ?

Looking forward to read all of you.

To quote leia :

“You’re my only hope” -^

Unfortunately, AFAIK, RetroArch makes a strict separation between gamepads such that you can’t map buttons from 2 different pads to a single player.

If you could make the GPIO buttons register as a keyboard, you could mix and match them across players, I think.

Thank you for your answer. Effectively i’ve read that this option exist. But i’m not sure if that it is possible. Can it affect the inputs setting of all my other emulators ? I haven’t seen topics dealing with it or any tutorials explaining how to make it. I just know xbodrv could probably be helpfull but i’m a little bit lost. Is someone able to give me the ways i should follow to try this method ?