Pine64 Experience

I’ve been messing around with the Pine A64+ (2gb) for a while, and I thought I’d share how it works for anyone trying to decide whether or not to get it.

Firstly, the DRM linux kernel is buggy and unsupported. This means Lakka is out of the question. So I used Android TV 7.1 (found here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=2828)

Brief thoughts on Android TV. It’s pretty nice interface, and if you want a total media solution and not just a game player I think it might be a better option than Lakka or even Open/Libreelec.

Retroarch works with both xmb and GLUI menu drivers although the xmb has an annoying flicker to it.

SNES9x 2010 worked at full speed, SNES9x ran at 50-55 FPS. Although I don’t have a heatsink so it’s possible that would provide speed increase to do so.

PCSX ReARMed worked at full speed with enhanced resolution turned off.

PPSSPP libretro core wasn’t full speed, but installing the standalone emulator from the play store ran full speed as long as mipmapping was disabled (could even run at higher resolution).

Mupen64 Plus: Couldn’t get this running at full speed. Haven’t tried Parallel.

So there you have it. Personally, if I was wanting a tv box and not wanting to use a pc I either get a Raspberry Pi 3 for better linux support (and thus tinkering potential) or the Odroid C2 for it’s better specs and better support, or even the Amazon Fire TV. I have the gen 1 FireTV and it’s more powerful than the Pine so the Gen 2 should be even better.