Pitfall the Mayan adventure 32x picodrive

Hello all

In the compatibility list here, it says picodrive runs Pitfall the Mayan adventure 32x :

Whereas I am getting totally scrambled graphics on the picodrive core. My ROM is working on kega fusion and mess. Can anyone test this?

Thanks all

I just tested it and can confirm it has weird graphics, I remember I read something that might be linked to this issue in SegaRetro, it’s the way it works in the real hardware.

Versions While the 32X version of the game has a larger color palette, it is let down by slower framerates for the foregrounds and sprites, due in part to the system’s inability to draw its high colour graphics as fast as its 64-colour Mega Drive counterpart (which incidentally is still responsible in this case for the backgrounds, which update at the full 60FPS).

The Mega-CD version, as well as including a CD audio soundtrack, contains full motion video sequences and extra stages. Compared to the 32X version, it runs stable. The Super NES version has brighter, more balanced color palette, but technical issues such as slowdown, missing animations etc. The “definitive” version is a tie between the Mega-CD, Jaguar and PC version.

The extra stages in the Mega-CD version are located after the nightime jungle stage. They were meshed into the game and don’t require any special method to be accessed. These stages mainly reuse graphics instead of having newly drawn ones. Difficulty wise, they compare to the end game stages of the regular version.

Thanks, strange how the picodrive compatibility list shows as working with no problems. So maybe only the RetroArch core of it not working

Hi, to run this game fine on picodrive, you must disable the dynarec (option on core config). It will run fine on interpreter. To be honest, i left this option on interpreter by default on my system for all games, any modern pc will run 32x games fullspeed on interpreter.

2 Likes

Thank you @cubatilles, I was having same issue. That worked like a charm !