Play! (PS2 Core) Crashes on game launch

So i have just downloaded the new Play! core and have tried to looad 3 images (Bin & ISO) and once i click on load image RetroArch crashes, i understand that the core doesnt require a BIOS so any ideas what the issue may be?

1 Like

Can you get a verbose log?

Without seeing a log all I can tell you is make sure you’re using OpenGL for this core. GL or GLcore, both are fine.

Here you go…

I don’t see any obvious errors in there. I guess you could try GL instead of GL_Core, though both should work.

I’m able to launch games, but I get ~1 fps.

1 Like

Same here. The crash happens as soon as I run the game, both in GL and GLcore. It says something like “the application has stopped the runtime in an unusual way”. Here’s the log: https://pastebin.com/2XJcKi4j

Hi, I can confirm that all the games I tried were working great You just need to load an ISO. Bin /Cue are not working

1 Like

Gradius V is a .bin/.cue game and it works really well. There’s something else going on here.

Hmm odd i tried ISO files and get the same results. Ill try a fresh install and see if i get the same results

Using Mac Retroarch also crashes on game launch:

[INFO] =================================================
[ERROR] Serious problem. RetroArch wants to load libretro cores dynamically, but it is already linked.
[ERROR] This could happen if other modules RetroArch depends on link against libretro directly.
[ERROR] Proceeding could cause a crash. Aborting ...
[ERROR] Fatal error received in: "init_libretro_sym()"
[ERROR] failed_to_start_audio_driver
Segmentation fault: 11

But if the game is loaded from the command line, then it does work. I would open an issue in github, but it looks like the issues section is not yet open for this repo.

There are still unresolved issues on Mac. That is why we did not mention it working yet for that platform.

How do I change it to opengl when core options says none available?

I’m using .cso format and can confirm those load in. This is with gl_core, if it matters. I’m also only getting 1-2fps though. Even games that were shown off on the youtube channel.

Sorry for reopening this thread, but I was typing exactly the same problem in a new topic. Got “warned” by the suggestion window that there was already a topic (this one) about it. I’m on Windows 10, running RA 1.79 v2. “Everything” runs fine except the ps2 emu Play! I load an image, I see the RA window coming up and then the whole bunch crashes. I tried to log (-- verbose) but this process crashes with the RA crash, so I can’t capture any errors. Video driver is set to GL but changing it to Vulkan or DX doesn’t change anything. I tried various images (BIN/CUE, ISO) and some original games by first loading the core and then the disc, but whatever I do, it crashes. Tried to search the Internet but can’t find anything except some very promising videos in which Play! is running just fine… I have an I7/8700k and a GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 gb. Again, cores like Beetle HW, Flycast, Mupen and Dolphin run excellent with almost all “eyecandy” on. Could someone put me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

As far as getting a log, I had the same problem yesterday. Launch RetroArch and go to Settings>User Interface and make sure “Show Advanced Settings” is toggled on. The logging option will then show up under the settings. Go there and toggle on “logging verbosity” and “log to file”. Your retroarch.log file will now show up in the “logs” folder in your RetroArch directory. Don’t forget to save current configuration. Hope this helps.

Hi there, is this different from the --verbose option via the commandline?

Not significantly, no. However, it’s an important point that many games don’t work with Play! at all. If you have Gran Turismo 3, I’m pretty sure it’s one that works well, so you should be able to determine whether you’re just trying a bunch of incompatible games.

Now, I am flabbergasted. I tried ALL the images that RA scanned (all databases updated) for this core. They ALL crash. However, there are some more game images in that same folder. Amongst them, GT 3. So I tried to load this one and it works, albeit with a very low framerate, stuttering etc. But, it works… So now I have other questions:

1. Howcome RA doesn’t scan the working GT 3 game image?
  2. Is there a way to get it running better (I tried the options, set them all to the worst quality, still no success)
  3. Is there a list of games that should work?

Thanks!

Please bear in mind that PS2 core is still in WIP and you should try only playable games for now.

Thank you.

2 Likes

So i saw that they added a Ps2 core, and decided to play Kingdom Hearts 2. So i trried loading the Clean Iso on android, and the app crashed. So its not just the Pc versions of retroarch. Its the core itself. Pff. Just saw the moderator post. Is there a priotity list for games?