Please help-RetroArch unusable

Morning all, I’ve only just discovered RA in the last week. Previously emulated all my games through the separate apps. RA is great and has been working fine. Yesterday, I plugged my HDMI cable in to play through my TV and the FPS rate cut from 60 to 29-30. The sound went crackly and the gameplay has slowed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no joy. All other emulators and programs work fine still. It’s just RA. I tried going back to a restore point, which worked until I plugged the TV back in again. Then I did the same again and restored, tried a different HDMI cable, and same again. I then restored again, wirelessly connected with screen mirroring and the same again. I’ve searched up and found that if I entered NVIDIA settings, and changed triple buffering and vertical sync to on, it would solve it. It hasn’t. I restored one more time and now it does the same 29 FPS without even plugging in to TV. I have a HP Omen 17" laptop running NVIDIA 1060, so the machine is more than capable of running anything. I really like the app, but as of now, I’m back to playing using the separate apps. Please help

I had this problem on my laptop while on battery because of the Nvidia experience. Their is a setting in the nvidia app where it tries to optimize battery life by halving the frame rate of games. You have to turn optimize frame rate OFF. It’s a bit buried in the interface if I recall.

I can find the exact setting now because I reset my laptop and without the Nvidia experience and I don’t have that problem to deal with.

2 Likes

Wow, you’re a star. I spent all yesterday mucking about with this. All working fine now, just did as you said and working great. Cheers again