Poor framerate on Raspberry Pi Model B

Hi,

I have just inherited an original Raspberry Pi Model B and have installed Lakka, but am finding that it really struggles with framerates:

Lakka menu - hovers between 40 - 45fps Genesis - struggle to maintain 30fps SNES - won’t even boot games - screen goes black and RetroArch appears to be reboot

I can get a solid 60fps on Master System only.

The Lakka hardware support table for RPi rates Genesis as A and SNES as C. Is there any way to improve the performance, or is the RPi 1 just not up to the task?

This leads me to my next question… all I’m really after is a small PC that will run SNES/Genesis ROMS at a solid 60fps. Will the RPi3 be powerful enough or do I need to look at an alternative option?

Just sick of having a huge PC case behind my TV just to run 16 bit games :wink:

Thanks

sad_muso

Try going into settings > menu and disable the ribbon. This might help out.

For SNES, you’ll be stuck with something like snes9x2005, which sounds funny but works pretty well.

Thanks hunterk. I tried disabling the ribbon but still getting around 40fps on the menu. I presume that this wouldn’t have any impact on the in-game fps?

With regards to SNES, do yo mean I need to use a different core or something?

For faster menu fps try using a different GUI driver like rgui.

It looks more simplified.

Cool, thanks.

Broadly speaking though, can I expect 60fps on Genesis and SNES ROMS on any of the Raspberry Pi’s?

I have no idea how powerful a Pi is.

Is it less powerful than a Pentium 4 Desktop? I can still play 60fps SNES/Genesis on that old rig with any emulator i try except BSNES.

Maybe try different cores. BSNES is out of the question so try SNES9x and if that doesn’t run fast enough go for SNES9x2005.

I just put an rpi3 into my arcade cab to replace the old Atom board I had in there previously. I didn’t have any trouble running snes9x2010 or genplusgx.

For genesis, use picodrive on rpi1. I would go for snes9x2002 (formerly pocketsnes, the snes core heavily optimized for arm) for snes.