Poor performance in Parallel/angrylion compared to Project 64

My specs: 8700k, 1050 ti - 391.01, opengl, retroarch 1.7.1, Win7 64 bit

I’ve been experiencing some bad performance using angrylion in Retroarch which I thought was unavoidable, but after using Project 64 with angrylion and getting much better results I’m not sure what’s going on. Here’s a comparison screenshot I took of Pilotwings 64 just sitting at the file select screen:

As you can see I can maintain 60 VI/s in Project 64 in that screen and pretty much throughout most of the game but in Retroarch it’s sub 50 in many places during the menus. I’ve tried d3d11 but that runs even worse with angrylion for some reason.

I’ve also noticed this in other games such as Episode 1 racer, which runs better in Project 64 by a good margin.

PS: Unfortunately I can only reply a limited amount of times to a topic but I’ll do what I can.

Probably the difference you’re seeing is caused by PJ64’s RSP dynarec.

I see. I did just try using Hatcat’s RSP Interpreter instead and the VI/s dropped to 55 at the file selection screen which is still a bit faster than retroarch.

edit: Are you able to get 60 VIs at the selection screen? Or anyone else for that matter?

I use an old dell optiplex with an i5 4570 I think. So it struggles a lot and most games I tried are just unplayable for me. But going into Retroarch > settings > video and turning on “threaded video” helps me almost reach a playable framerate in Top Gear Rally, almost a decent framerate for the Ocarina of Time into and gives Mario 64 a little bit of headroom in front of the castle.

Doesn’t threaded video add a lot of input lag? Doesn’t seem to boost the fps on pilotwings anyway. What fps are you getting?

I was able to test the game today and threaded video doesn’t make a difference. Like I said it helps makes some games almost playable on my stock dell optiplex. I should add that I am running linux/Lakka so performance is going to suffer in this case vs Windows. Anyway I only gets 28 fps at the menu.