Possible to downscale 8k with Retroarch?

First I would like to say thanx for all help I have got from here and also github. And thanx Hylian for your shaders.

I am just wondering, is it possible to downscale 8k with Retroarch? I am experimenting some with shaders and from what I have gained, higher screen resolution makes it look better the way I am doing it. I am currently running in 4k fullscreen and that works nice. But when I try 8k it wont downscale the window size no matter what I do. So is there something I can do about that? I got it working in GTA IV with GeDoSaTo, but somehow it does not seem to work for Retroarch.

You can set shaders to work at whatever scale you want via the presets (cgp, glslp, slangp) and then it will downsample to match your fullscreen resolution but it doesn’t usually have much impact on our shaders.

What I mean is to set it at 8k in the config file. Right now I have it at video_fullscreen_x = “3840” video_fullscreen_y = “2160” and there I’d like to chose 8k. However when I do that the picture does not get downscaled to my screen size.

Correct. That’s not what that option is for. That option tries to force the resolution you put into it to the extent that connected displays will try to switch to that mode. If it’s not a valid mode, it will / should be ignored.

If you want it to fit your screen, those options need to have nothing entered (that is, just empty double-quotes “”).

Hmm ok, well. Thanx for your help!

Another question I have is… is it possible, in some easy way, to turn off the limitation of this shader “Super - 4 xbr - 3d - 4p” to not filter 3d elements? Simply, so it filters everything on the whole screen?

super-xbr-3p-smoother should be very close and leaves off the 3D detection.

I think your screen would have to support that no? GeDoSaTo is different, it does the downsampling in software and tricks the game into rendering at a higher res. Without something like that, it will not work. Your display, or driver has to support that resolution in some form. As Retroarch AFIK does not have built in resolution scaling.

If you have an Nvidia GPU. You can use 4.00x DSR to achieve this if you have a 4k monitor. Adjust the smoothness value to your liking.

If you are doing this on a 1080p monitor. You have to use DSR Tool and use a 16.00x resolution scale. (The max DSR can handle properly)

Set desktop res to 8k if using 4xDSR on 4k monitor. Start Retroarch. (Should start up and run at 8k res) Set shaders Profit.

Thanx for your answer. I know how it works with dsr and such. I am running many modern games in 4k with my 1080 tv. However, I cannot get gedosato to work with retroarch. Wich I think is the only way for me to run this in 8k. But it is not really a big deal I think. Like I said, 4k in retroarch works good. This is how it looks like -

1 Like

Wow! Never Imagined that FF8 could looks soo amazing!

Again, DSR will work if you follow my instructions above to do what you want.

GeDoSaTo is a software that injects into a game to tell it to support a resolution your monitor doesn’t support. And then downsample that back to your actual resolution. It also only works with DX9 programs. (And a few specific non DX9 programs)This is important. Because Retroarch only works in OGL or Vulkan on Windows AFIK.

Plus, it would not work any way. Because there is no resolution setting in Retroarch. It isn’t like a normal game.

Follow my instructions, read the post on how to use DSR Tool (Or hack the registry entries as shown here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/940393/geforce-drivers/can-i-use-your-dsr-feature-to-display-a-1366x768-desktop-on-a-1024x768-monitor-on-windows-/post/4899134/#4899134) and set a 4x4 (16.00x) multiplier. (If you hack the registry you will be wanting to set the ratios to 40000 before converting to hex)

This will get you 8k on a 1080p display. Then you have to set your desktop resolution as 8k , and THEN run Retroarch while your desktop is set to 8k. This will run RA at that resolution.