Possible to edit the menus?

I’m building a box for my brother. He’s not very smart when it comes to configuring and stuff. Once I get a box set up the way we like it, I’d like to disable some of the menu functions in RetroArch, to prevent him from messing it up. For instance… the latest version of RetroArch we’re using, there is an option in the Online Updater to “Update Lakka”. We don’t want this on our build because updating Lakka would rewrite the bootloader, which would eliminate OpenELEC and Kodi, etc. We’d also like some way to remove the menu options to REBOOT and SHUTDOWN, since the way we’re running RetroArch all we would want to do is quit RetroArch (which would take us back to Kodi).

Is such an edit possible? Is there some cfg or xml file somewhere I can just edit to remove those?

Hi!

After having everything set up search the retroarch.cfg for “exit”. You will find an option named save_config_on_exit (or something similar). Set it to “false” to prevent unwanted changes. Note that this doesn’t affect changes made to core options.

Thanks. :slight_smile: I already knew about that one though. We’re looking for a more obvious approach though, since he has kids that might muck stuff up too.

There’s currently no way to remove menu options but we’re working on a way to only show playlists; that is, a kiosk mode. If that were in place, you could map the exit shortcut to something and never need the menus.

That’d be awesome! I guess I’ll just wait, and hopefully he won’t screw anything up. :slight_smile: I’m gonna keep a backup image of his SD card to be safe.