Ppsspp

Hi! How do you install this core correctly? Is the core file all you need?

I haven’t gotten to PPSSPP yet, but typically the core is all you need.

Funny that this topic would show up the very same day I finally register on this forum specifically to ask about this very core. To answer part of your question, no, the core is not all you need to get PPSSPP to work in RetroArch, but unfortunately, I’ve found that follwing the requirements listed on the LibRetro wiki page for PPSSPP (i.e. that you need to take the contents of the folder labeled “assets” that is found on this page, and place them in a folder labeled “PPSSPP” within your RetroArch directory’s “system” folder) does not work for me.

In addition, I find that whenever I try to load a PSP game in RetroArch via the “select file and detect core” option, there are two seemingly identical listings for the PPSSPP core. What’s even stranger is that while neither of the listings work properly, they both fail in different ways.

Specifically, if I select the first listing on the menu, I get this error message:

But if I select the second listing, I instead get this error message:

That core needs the flash0 folder and ppge_atlas.zim file from the assets folder included in the official stand alone PPSSPP zip copied into your system folder.

Edit:

[QUOTE=Claus Contraption;25515]In addition, I find that whenever I try to load a PSP game in RetroArch via the “select file and detect core” option, there are two seemingly identical listings for the PPSSPP core. What’s even stranger is that while neither of the listings work properly, they both fail in different ways.

Specifically, if I select the first listing on the menu, I get this error message:

But if I select the second listing, I instead get this error message: [/QUOTE] The first error is because a zipped copy of the core was left in your cores folder. You can delete that to get rid of the entry. The core updater is supposed to delete the zip after it extracts it, but maybe you used the updater before that function was added.

The second error is a problem with the latest version of the core: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-ppsspp/issues/22 I only get it with certain games, and if I click yes the game runs. Hopefully that warning gets figured out soon.

I have the flash0 folder and ppge_atlas.zim in ~\system\PPSSPP\assets and am still getting a “missing ppge_atlas.zim” error when I load content. I double checked my retroarch.cfg to make sure my system folder directory was correct.

Other than the error, it works fine…

They need to be in ~\system\PPSSPP. I think the error says to put them in assets because that’s where you’d put them in the stand alone release. The message wasn’t updated for the libretro port.

[QUOTE=Awakened;25516]That core needs the flash0 folder and ppge_atlas.zim file from the assets folder included in the official stand alone PPSSPP zip copied into your system folder.

Edit:

The first error is because a zipped copy of the core was left in your cores folder. You can delete that to get rid of the entry. The core updater is supposed to delete the zip after it extracts it, but maybe you used the updater before that function was added.

The second error is a problem with the latest version of the core: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-ppsspp/issues/22 I only get it with certain games, and if I click yes the game runs. Hopefully that warning gets figured out soon.[/QUOTE]

After deleting all the .zip files in my core folder and trying to load a game again, I found there to be only one listing this time, and after clicking “yes” on the warning, I got the game to load. Sort of. Once I actually got it running, the emulator’s performance unfortunately turned out to be so slow and buggy as to be basically unusable. I’m guessing the LibRetro port of PPSSPP is based on a pre-1.0 version of the standalone emulator, since I remember the standalone version having similarly bad performance before it reached that milestone.

Anyways, thanks for clearing up what my particular issue was. It would seem that beyond placing the right files in the right folder and such, getting the LibRetro port of PPSSPP to actually work is basically up to the people actually developing the core at this point.

E: Oh, duh. I forgot before that you can see what version of any given core you have available to you by simply loading the core into RetroArch, and the current version of PPSSPP available is 1.0.1-git.

I am having a similar problem now. a few days ago i had ppsspp working fine, now it crashes retroarch anytime I try to load a psp iso, I dont get an error message just a black screen after selecting the iso. I made sure I had the ppge_atlas.zim file and the flash0 folder in the system/ppsspp dir. I also made sure there where no zip files in the same folder as the iso file (this was not a problem before.) idk what els i could be wrong. I am running retroarch on windows 7 64.

Which core are you running?

PPSSPP v1.0.1-git, the latest. i updated this morning.

Ok, try this older ppsspp liberto file https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5tyOXynhxGuNXhYZDIwdVVESXM/view?usp=sharing and go into the cores folder and rename the one in there to something like ppsspp_liberto1 just so you still have it and paste this one in instead.

It still crashed…

ok, are you using launchbox?

Also are you psp roms zipped? If so try unzipping them and trying again

Hey everyone. small question as well as thanks to all for your advice, I have the ppsspp core almost 100% working… but this is what i can’t figure out how to remedy… every time i try to load up a save or save in general, this is what it looks like

http://postimg.org/image/elu0d9bb7/

was just wondering if any of you had advice on how to adjust it back into english?

Thanks for the advice. Now this core works for me, except for the Dragon Ball Shin Budokai 1 and 2 games. Are these 2 games working properly with Retroarch?

My core runs great (using the one before the error message popup)

Oh, except for the fact that it makes my entire screen go into an indescribable mess of graphical errors.

Using stand-alone PPSSPP in light of the issue lol.