Problem loading games for mednafen-psx

Anyways, great app so far… has pretty much loaded games for the cores I’ve wanted thus far.

However, I am having an issue running games for mednafex_psx. I’m on one of the more recent nightly builds of retroarch and using the Nvidia shield tablet with lollipop. I’m currently trying to load games in the bin/cue format (US version of the game). At first, I was trying to find out where to put the psx bios files since I couldn’t find out where to put in the internal storage directory of the android device. I found a thread that it was recommended to put the particular(s) bios file in the directory of the game/rom that is being loaded. The folder of psx bios files I have doesn’t have the scph5501.bin file so I tried renaming both scph1001.bin and scph7003.bin to scph5501.bin. I tried the 1001 file first and then the 7003 file second. At first, the bios file names were all in capital… tried loading the game and it would say “retroarch stopped working” or it would boot me back to the android home screen. Then tried renaming all in lowercase letters and they still didn’t boot.

I’ve checked the cue files to make sure my bins are correctly named. The gamename in the cue file matches the name of the bin for both games I’ve tried.

Am I missing something here, I’m at a bit of a loss here. Thanks!

You can’t simply rename them. Mednafen is picky about the BIOS version it uses, you need the correct BIOS http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX

Thanks for the quick reply as always Radius.

Hmm, I guess this will be trickier then if I need the actual 5501 file. I’ve scoured everywhere but can’t find that file. I thought renaming 7703 would work since its md5 checks with the 5501 :frowning:

You should be able to rename if the checksums match. Make sure the BIOS files are in your ‘system’ directory (that is, whatever directory you specified for it in your ‘path’ settings) and if all else fails, try renaming and rewriting your cue file to something super-simple, lower-case and without any spaces, like ‘test.bin’ or something like that to rule out filesystem issues.

Thanks that was the trick. I got the files to boot up. Sound is a little stutter-y but it boots!

Well yeah, mednafen-psx may be too much for all arm android devices… Maybe an x86 android or a shield tablet can tackle it