Problem mapping the 'Y' button manually with Xbox 360 pad

I’ll keep this brief. I believe I found a bug. I turned off autoconfig enable, because I don’t want the guide button to be used by RetroArch. Using ‘bind all’ works fine. But trying to manuallly enter in the ‘Y’ button does not work, it is as though RetroArch rejects whatever you try to map it to.

Also, if you had a keyboard key mapped to the ‘Y’ button, RetroArch will insantly delete it when you try to map a controller button to it.

Edit: Pressing the Y button on the controller, if you’d already mapped it with the ‘bind all feature’ while any other entry is highlighted will result in that entry being deleted.

Edit 2: If you have a keyboard key mapped to the ‘Y’ button, that key will also delete any entry that is highlighted if pressed. I also realized that is the reason why you cannot manually map the ‘Y’ button, it will instantly delete itself. Manuallly trying to map L1 and R1 will result in the page instantly scrolling up or down.

I don’t know if there is a purpose behind making the ‘Y’ button delete stuff but the implementation for mapping inputs could use some work.

Is there a way to turn that off? I don’t want the ‘Y’ button deleting any entries.

Y is the default mapping for “unmap”. It sounds like it’s not blocking out additional inputs while/after listening for mapping input.

The ‘Start’ button has the exact same issue, most likely for the same reason.

I’m opening an issue on github for this. Can you tell me which version of RetroArch you’re using and anything else that might be helpful? That is, OS version/bitness, etc.?

Sure, thanks for your help hunterk.

RetroArch 1.5.0 Windows 10 64 bit

Weird. I am no longer experiencing the issue.

Maybe it was some other setting that was somehow interfering. I’ll play with it some more and see if I can reproduce it.

Edit: Got it to happen again. All I did was turn on a PS3 controller (uses SCP driver, makes windows think it’s a 2nd Xbox 360 controller), as well as the original wired Xbox 360 controller, turned off ‘Controller Companion’ app, turned off Xpadder. Somehow the issue is back, and reversing those three seemingly pointless steps does nothing to fix it.

Rebooting did not help, the issue is persistent on my end.

Would it be helpful to post a log, after getting the issue to occur?

Edit 2: Turning off ‘Unified Menu Controls’ fixed the issue. I did actually turn that off before when I got it working, forgot to mention that.

I believe this is what is causing the problem.

Edit 3: Turned ‘Unified Menu Controls’ back on, and the issue is still not present. I don’t get it. The only other thing is, I had a PS3 controller turned on as well. Turning it off did not change the results.

Edit 4: Closed RetroArch, reopened it, the issue is back. Turned off ‘Unified menu controls’, issue is fixed. Turned on ‘Unified menu controls,’ issue is still not present. Closed RetroArch, reopened, the issue is back.

It clearly has something to do with Unified menu controls setting conflicting somehow.