Problem moving savestates

Hi, I’m having problems with moving the savestates of the “Advance Wars” GBA game, played with the VBA-M core.

I have installed Retroarch 1.2.2 in an Android 4 phone, an Android 5 tablet and a Windows 8.1 PC.

I played the game in my phone and tried to continue the game either in the tablet or in the PC. To that end, I copied the *.srm, *.state and *.stateauto files from the phone, and copy them in the same directory where the *.gba game is located. There is only one Savestate located in Slot #0

While trying to load the state in either the Tablet or the PC, a new *.srm file is generated, overwriting the one copied, and if I try to load the savestate it resets the game.

I’ve noticed in the tablet, that the state loads very briefly before restarting.

Am I doing something wrong? do I have to put the copied files from the phone in other directory? There is a way to generate a log to see the problem either in the tablet or the PC?

Thanks in advance.

You can get a log from Windows pretty easily but savestates are extremely volatile and being able to use the same state across platforms is a crapshoot. In-game saves, i.e srm files, should be fine across platforms, though.

Many Thanks hunterk.

Based on your answer, I tried copying ONLY the *.srm file and it works in the PC, I’ll try later the same method with the tablet. I did not know that the state file where too volatile.

Other question. What about games which DO NOT hanlde *.srm files?

Thanks ag