Problem with soft patching ROM with IPS file

I’ve found a thread on it but still couldn’t make it work.

Here’s the command line: D:\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -f -L “cores\snes9x_libretro.dll” “content\snes[romname].zip” --ips “patches\ips[patchname][romname].ips”

Without the IPS part it runs just fine. When I add IPS arguments, it doesn’t run and it seems the ROM is corrupted afterwards, because I can’t run the ROM anymore after I try to patch it with RA.

What am I doing wrong? (this is Windows 10 BTW)

are you sure the patch works with hardpatching? IPS doesn’t do any sanity checks, so if it’s expecting a headered ROM and you hand it a headerless, it’s gonna be bad.

You might also try unzipping the ROM first to see if that’s messing anything up.

Indeed, RA can’t run the hardpatched ROM either. It’s a SNES patch, so there’s that thing with romhacks running on ZSNES but not in more accurate emulators.

I’ll try another hack and report back.

EDIT: I found the problem. It was a header issue. Problem is that RA is hardpatching the ROM via the command line argument. If that’s the case then there’s no advantage to using the command line, as it’s better to hardpatch with Flips or something else.

BTW, sorry to change subject of the thread, but I was testing the DOSBox core earlier and it works like a charm! But, why isn’t there an option to set CPU cycles to automatic like in non-libretro DOSBox? The setting of 40000 cycles seemed to work fine on my laptop, and I believe my gaming rig can go far higher, but it’s not very newbie-friendly, although easy enough to test.