Problems after upgrating from 1.2.2 stable

My PC is an i5 4670, a GTX 960 GPU and Windows 7.

Everything worked perfectly, until i decided to upgrade the .exe (1.2.2) with a newer version (1.3.0).

I also launch RetroArch through other frontends too and i didn’t have a problem until the newer versions.

My first problem is that when i try to launch some SNES games from either Hyperspin or Launch box, some work and some don’t. I don’t know what the difference is. Doom doesn’t work. Clayfighter doesn’t work. Donkey Kong Country works though. It’s random. About half of the games won’t launch, the other will. 1.2.2 doesn’t give me such problems. If i just use the RetroArch UI, all games work by the way, even with 1.3.0. I just don’t get this error.

My second problem is the speed. For some reason now some emulators will lag (with distorting sounds and all). Keep in mind that i haven’t change anything in my configs. I only replaced the exe. And with 1.3.0 BSNES balanced or N64, or some others are now slow. With the 1.2.2 exe they were fine. The only way to make them fast in 1.3.0 is to either disable hard gpu sync or don’t use windowed fullscreen. But i need those two options and i didn’t have a probem with them on 1.2.2.

So i don’t have any other choice but to use 1.2.2 and miss whatever new feature 1.3.0 brings :frowning:

Confirmed the launching issue on my Win10 machine. If I try to launch DKC2 or 3 from Steam or a command prompt in the BSNES Balanced core a “RetroArch has stopped working” window comes up in the 2016-01-25 nightly. DKC1 launches from it fine.

Here’s a verbose log using the debug exe if it’s any help: http://hastebin.com/nomuhoyopi.tex

Launching the same game on the same core from XMB works fine as GemaH mentioned.

I haven’t noticed a degradation in performance on Balanced on my 2500k OC’ed to 4.4ghz though. I’m still getting full speed on the MMX3 and YI title screens.

Edit: I suspected it could be a long file name issue, but I have a game with a longer name (Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon - Another Story (Japan) [En by FuSoYa v1.0 + Intro Fix by mziab v1.0].zip) that launches fine from the command line. Aladdin and Actraiser work, Assault Suits Valken and Alcahest crash. I don’t recognize a pattern yet.

Edit2: There are some extracted ROM files in my Genesis and Game Boy folder suggesting RetroArch has been crashing on exit with GPGX and Gambatte too. I reverted to an old nightly retroarch.exe from 2016-01-06 and that doesn’t crash when launching DKC2 from command line or the Game Boy or Genesis games that had before on exit.

Doom also doesn’t work and that’s the shortest name you can get :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, DKC 2 and 3 also don’t work for me, so i suppose the problem is with specific games for some reason. And i can’t see a pattern either.

As for the performance decrease, it’s there, i can see a difference in CPU usage between 1.2.2 and 1.3.0. But with a 4,4 GHz overclocked CPU is less noticeable (if at all) since you get some extra headroom.

That log looks fine to me. We’ll look into it and see if we can pin anything down.

Thanks for identifying some reproducible games. That’ll make it easier to debug.

Can anyone try a few other cores before I embark myself in bisecting 20 pages of commits?

I can’t reproduce the left over extracted ROM thing in GPGX or Gambatte in either the latest nightly or the one from early January, so that must not be related to this.

Had the exact same issues, disabled rewind on bsnes and everything works fine. Rewind with bsnes works properly only on 1.0.0.2.