Problems compiling MAME for Wii

Hey!

I wanted to try out the MAME core that will come out on the Wii soon and have been running into problems compiling.

obj/mame/cpu/m68000/m68kmake: 1: obj/mame/cpu/m68000/m68kmake: Syntax error: “(” unexpected

I’ve tried to configure things differently but every time it’s this file. I’ve tried running it manually but it refuses to run, also.

Any help on this would be helpful thanks!

I don’t think the MAME core is ready or working on any of the consoles.

You have to compile the mini branch,

https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-libretro/tree/mini

By default it’s setup to only support the midway/williams drivers which are not full speed at the moment, which is why this hasn’t been released for the wii. I have this core and have tested the mortal kombat series as well as nba jam and some others, the only game that is close to being playable is mortal kombat 2(from my experience), but is still too slow. If you want to run other games with this mame core, what you have to do is remove the midway/williams drivers and then add in whichever drivers you want to test. The reason for this is that the mame core is so large you can only compile it with a few drivers at a time otherwise it will be too large for the Wiis limited memory. Just read the notes on the mini branch and you’ll see what I mean.

"* When using concurrent building you may get an error that it can’t create certain object files, just rerun make if it happens.

• To run on Wii’s memory constraints some drivers in src/driver.c must be removed."

https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-li … c/driver.c

https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-li … d7fd26063c

Hope that helps a little. Ideally, someone would compile like 10 different versions of this mame core, each with a few drivers included so that we could have all the drivers but spread across the mame core split into 10 smaller cores(once again, cus of memory constraints). The files are there on the github to do this as of right now if anyone felt so inclined to do so.

That would be awesome. There are some games that aren’t still emulated correctly by FBA, such as Caveman Ninja, Toki, Snow Bros, Tumblepop or Golden Axe. They have sound/music errors which are really annoying. I wish someone to compile a little MAME core based on version 0.78. This version doesn’t need such resources as newer ones.

[quote=“JKseed”]

That would be awesome. There are some games that aren’t still emulated correctly by FBA, such as Caveman Ninja, Toki, Snow Bros, Tumblepop or Golden Axe. They have sound/music errors which are really annoying. I wish someone to compile a little MAME core based on version 0.78. This version doesn’t need such resources as newer ones.[/quote]

True, MAME 0.78 should run all those games at fullspeed on even a Wii.

Me and ToadKing can look into making small separate ‘core’ versions of MAME for Wii perhaps. Our first ‘test cores’ weren’t really what I would deem release-worthy (Konami GX games didn’t fit into RAM, and Mortal Kombat / Midway DCS games were below fullspeed).

That would be awesome. There are some games that aren’t still emulated correctly by FBA, such as Caveman Ninja, Toki, Snow Bros, Tumblepop or Golden Axe. They have sound/music errors which are really annoying. I wish someone to compile a little MAME core based on version 0.78. This version doesn’t need such resources as newer ones.[/quote]

Me and ToadKing can look into making small separate ‘core’ versions of MAME for Wii perhaps. Our first ‘test cores’ weren’t really what I would deem release-worthy (Konami GX games didn’t fit into RAM, and Mortal Kombat / Midway DCS games were below fullspeed).[/quote]

This would be greatly appreciated, I wouldn’t mind if we were missing some of the RAM intensive games as long as we had Golden Axe, Snow Bros etc running without issues :slight_smile:

Me and ToadKing can look into making small separate ‘core’ versions of MAME for Wii perhaps. Our first ‘test cores’ weren’t really what I would deem release-worthy (Konami GX games didn’t fit into RAM, and Mortal Kombat / Midway DCS games were below fullspeed).[/quote]

Yea, I think that would be pretty awesome. I personally don’t care about the larger games. The drivers I would love to have would be the following,

• Kaneko “AX System” games * (bonkadv)
  • (some) Konami 68000 games * (bucky, moo, etc)
  • Nichibutsu games * (dangar… im dying to be able to play this one on the wii. really old shooter, should run fullspeed.)
  • M72 (and derivatives) * (r-type games)
  • M92 * (rtypeleo)
  • Taito multi-screen games * (warriorb)

also, * Sega System 32 games * and * Sega ST-V games * would be cool, but I doubt these 2 would run fullspeed on the wii.

What do you think about these drivers Squarepusher? Do you think any of them would run at acceptable speeds? Any input is appreciated, and thanks for all your great work thus far.

Any updates on these smaller, separate MAME cores?

Maybe i’m working in an updated version of MAME2003+ split (separated) cores for the Nintendo Wii, here: (this was based on some work by Wiimpathy)